The King's Prerogative

Em POV

Closing my eyes I took a deep breath, nothing but meetings the last few days, the friend Arthit had gone to see sent a disturbing message and Kong wanted things moved along faster. The Elders had mostly agreed to stand with us, Elder Rook would cause trouble but we would handle that later.

I sat with Wad and watched the new people from the Mountain Clan speak with Kong, it was always amusing. The first meeting was enough to put them in their own categories. The pleasers, the followers, the ones who agreed, the ones who would be a problem and the most annoying of them all the ones who wanted to curry favour.

Kong had grown quite good at this, even though he hated it. I on the other hand just wanted to go sleep for the rest of the day, and wake up in time to have dinner with May.

Ren had returned with four council members and two main choices for the Elite. Tum didn't seem pleased with one but had greeted the other at least. The council member whose name I didn't remember was trying to impress the virtues of his son for the task.

I hid my smile as I caught King's eye, he was taking the time to do the same and asses the people. The main points had been agreed, regiments to help train guards and secure the lands once the announcements were made. Money and supplies needed for the coming months and contingencies for the winter months that hit the Mountain Clans the hardest.

Kong was being generous but it was also a smart move. He wanted to send two of my best captains out, normally I wouldn't have agreed upon the idea but I had received word that the Twin Captains would be in the capital by the end of the week. Somchai and Ball would do well, they had authority and could command an army and would have no trouble training new guards and keeping ours in check.

It would be foolish to believe they would be accepted from the start and I knew the Sea Clan would give them trouble, but I had faith in their abilities to quell the situation in our favour.

"Be ready for the ceremony by the end of the month." Kong informed the gathered.

"But that is so soon..." Ren and his people whispered.

"Your majesty, you may need more time to choose the Elite..." The Clan Elder looked worried.

"I have already chosen." Kong smiles politely. "Tum will take that place."

I quickly hid my laugh with a cough when Wad glanced my way. The look of shock on their faces was always interesting.

"But...majesty...he wasn't one of the chosen..." The favour seeker stuttered.

"I need someone I can trust, someone who will speak for his clan." Kong answered. "Who will not be afraid to tell me what I must know."

"Yes of course...but my son..."

"I do not interfere with whom you chose as your head, but..." Kong silenced him. "Choosing an Elite is the Kings prerogative, and I have made my choice. Be ready, we will take the oath by the end of the month."

Tum looked stunned by the choice, the council members seem surprised and the one whose son was a candidate didn't look happy at all. He would have things to say to them later, but Ren and the Clan Elder seemed pleased with the choice.

"He does like silencing them this way." Wad said next to me.

"I think he likes saying it." I say quietly. The Kings prerogative."

It's always fun to watch them try to argue, they would keep trying until the last minute but Kong never changed his mind. They would learn his word was always final.