The Elders Meet

Kong POV

"They are here." Em announces walking into my office with Wad, both looking unhappy.

"Let's get this done." I say standing.

The elders had come to answer my call, some of them I respected and liked but the others could be trying. And there was one elder I had respected, but the man had always hated me, he was the hardest to deal with out of them all.

Pridi nodded to us and walked out of the door, he would stand guard until we returned. Em moved the large bookcase to reveal the narrow passage and walked in. We followed the winding way down stone steps and into a small hall with three walls, a small circle of blocks etched with symbols on one side.

Wad moved and pressed the small symbols, a stone wall moved to the left in front of us. Em followed with his symbols, a stone wall moved to the right in front, and when I pressed my symbols the last wall panel moved up to reveal another set of stairs leading down.

The palace itself was vast, it was surprising how many secrets it contained, and some only the King knew. We could hear voices as we headed for the door and walked through. The elders sat in the large sitting room, old elites, generals and respected retired officials, discussing what could have made me send for them.

"He always did do things his own way." Elder Rook announced. "Why call us?"

"I have questions." My reply announcing my arrival.

The elders stand and bow, we return the greeting. I watch Elder Rook follow, though reluctantly.

"We will help of course majesty, though your message was brief." Elder Wen begins. "You wanted to speak of the exiled bloodlines?"

"Going to deal with the traitors?" Elder Rook stares. "I never believed you had it in you."

"I think its time for the matter to be resolved." I tell them as we take our seats.

The room is silent, the elders looking to each other before Elder Tor, Em's grandfather speaks.

"I know you are the King and I will do all in my power to help you, but do not ask me to aid you in killing them."

"Did you forget what they did?"

"Exiled or not, they are still our people."

"What happened was long ago, shouldn't we try..."

"This is why nothing was ever accomplished." Elder Rook snaps at the comments from the others. "Too many peace-loving fools. You need to strike first and strike hard. So your enemies and your allies know your worth."

Master Kukri had stayed silent watching me, through Arthit he had already given me one and now he waited to see what I would do.

"Since the message was sent, we have found the clan heads." I tell them.

"Think carefully before you decide a path majesty." Elder Tamlin says cautiously.

"I have thought about it for a long time, a very long time." I tell them. "And many different thoughts on what I should do."

"Burn the lot and..."

"I will offer them a seat in my court." I say straightening. "Their taint removed and their seals restored."

The room is silent, the elders looking at me in surprise and many with respect, except Elder Rook.

"You can't mean that boy, the years of bad blood..."