Chapter 4 - Crazy, Foreign Girl

"I thought there would be more people here," Lima whispered to Theo who was sitting beside her at the huge dinner table. Looking around amongst the others situated, only seven people sat at the table fit for twenty.

"Because not much has happened in the last one hundred years, many people think it's a waste to train and be a protector," he whispered back. "The protectors here have either gone against their parents' wishes or have no parents anymore."

A full chicken lay in the center with Enoch, who sat on the other side of Lima, strategically cutting it into perfect pieces. A girl with a shaved head, piercing eyes and strong cheekbones, who introduced herself as Zen, sat across from Lima. With the intense look that seemed to radiate from her eyes, she looked anything but Zen. She sat between Malcolm, the young boy Theo discussed before that loved explosives, and the gorgeous Athena with her long, blonde hair, blue eyes, and slender stature. Dr. Jitter sat at the head of the table like the father watching his children happily converse amongst each other.

"Dig in," Enoch said sitting down in his seat, taking a piece of chicken, and passing it over to Lima. Always one to love dark meat, and also haven't eaten since she was back home, Lima greedily took a piece of the chicken leg with the thigh attached.

A groan erupted from the other side of the table. "Dammit, I always take the right leg and thigh," Malcolm said with a slight frown. "I'm pulling rank, I want that leg!"

Malcolm reached over to Lima's plate, which she pulled towards her and took a huge bite out of the chicken. "Finders, keepers," she said with a full mouth.

Hissing his teeth, Malcolm sunk into the chair and crossed his arms. "More like thievers, keepers."

"Oh stop pouting. You're supposed to be a protector for god's sake," Zen said giving Malcolm a soft slap on the arm. "Just take the other damn leg, it's not that big of a deal."

"But everyone knows I always take the right one. Come on newbie, I'll battle you for it. I have some new explosives I want to try out!"

"Let's just relax, okay?" Dr. Jitter said in a soft voice. "We'll cook two chickens next time and you can have both right legs if that'll make you feel better."

Malcolm looked at the left leg on his plate and shrugged. "Nah, it's okay. It's really not that big of a deal."

Everyone at the table dropped their cutlery loudly on their plates, with unison detests erupting from every end.

"Stop playing around, Malcolm," Athena said.

"He always fucking does this," Zen exclaimed.

"It's not funny," Enoch said very matter-of-factly.

Theo reached over and high-fived Malcolm and they both erupted in laughs. "Good one, dude. The ultimate troll," Theo laughed loudly. Malcolm bit into his piece of chicken with a satisfied look on his face.

Zen rolled her eyes and scoffed. "A typical day in the Mainland Mansion. Malcolm and Theo thinking they're comedians."

"You know you love us," Malcolm said nudging Zen with his arm.

The slightest of smiles curled at the end of her lips. "Very unlikely," she stated.

"Now that our daily dinner battle has subsided," Dr. Jitter started, "Why don't you guys give a proper introduction to our guest and tell her a little about yourselves?"

"Why?" Zen asked. Athena shot her a displeased look and Zen returned it tenfold.

"Stop being so rude," Athena whispered. "My name is Athena and I'm a protector," she said in a bubbly tone. "I like flowers, daisies are the best, and my favourite activities include playing with animals and shooting at dummies with my golden bow and arrow. Zen, you're next!"