3

“It’s been nearly a week since an almost reunion between our favorite country heartthrob, Beau Anderson, and his high school flame, McKenzie Mills.” I scoff at the tv.  High school flame? I’m 22, but you would never guess that with how many times my name and “high school” are used in the same sentence.

“Their fandoms started out at war with each other,” the reporter on tv continues. “Each side was initially warning their favorite ex-lover to steer clear of the other. That is until the pair released their hilarious response video, which has caused fans on both sides of the battle lines to ship the pair once again.”

Although I had been scrolling through my phone instead of watching the celebrity gossip show Emma had turned on, my head snaps up as soon as I hear Beau’s voice come through the speakers. The show is airing clips of the video we had posted. Most of the parts they show are of us laughing hysterically, often leaning into each other as we collapse in fits of hysterics. My chest pains a little at the memory.

“The chemistry between the two is undeniable,” the reporter says as the images of us disappeared. “Perhaps that is the reason this video has gone viral. Beau had this to say about it all when we caught up to him last night.”

I sit up in anticipation. The screen switches to footage of Beau walking down the street surrounded by paparazzi.

“Your mean comments video has gone crazy viral,” a female pap off screen is heard saying, earning a chuckle from Beau. “Did you expect that kind of a reaction when you filmed it?”

“No we didn’t,” Beau responds, still smiling. He stops walking to give an autograph to a young fan. “We really did it more for ourselves. The response from the photos we posted was the real shocker.”

Beau stops again, this time to pose for a couple of selfies with a small group of teenage girls. The girls don’t even try to hide their obvious excitement. They squeal as they look between the photos on their phone and Beau, who was now continuing down the sidewalk.

“Whose idea was the video then?” the off-screen voice asks.

“Our buddy Luke. He filmed and edited it for us too. That’s all in the caption.” He turns toward the camera with a wink and a smirk. I’ve always loved when he called paparazzi out on their shit. Which is probably why it hurt so bad when he never corrected them when they asked out of line questions about me after our split.

“We love those videos where celebrities read mean tweets about themselves on late night shows, so Luke thought it would be hilarious to do something like that,” Beau continues. “I guess there’s some people out there who agree since it’s..what did you call it? Crazy viral?”

The pap laughs. Beau smiles and poses for a few photos as a few flashes go off. Then, he turns towards the parking gate he is now standing in front of.

“Wait, before you go, any comments on your current relationship status?”

Beau pauses. He turns slightly back towards the camera. “I think we’ve said everything we’re gonna say about that for right now. Thanks.” Beau turns back towards the gate with a quick wave over his shoulder. Then, he disappears through the gate as a barrage of unanswered questions are called out after him.

I sigh and return my attention to my phone. I can faintly hear the announcer wrapping up the story on my sort-of relationship and give a teaser of an upcoming story before the show cuts to a commercial.