CASE NO. 6: The Next Stop

She was eyeing up the girl with the soft wavy brown hair who was just a few seats in front of her, busy sight-seeing.

Without a second thought, Noel proceeded to the empty seat opposite the pretty girl, Sofia.

"Done reading that book?" said Noel, pointing right beside the girl.

Sofia's eyes turned back and forth between her and her novella. "Oh, not quite. I just took a break from reading."

Noel nodded at her with her lips pursed. "Could I see it?"

"Sure," Sofia fumbled and handed it over to the stranger.

Taking the book from her hands, Noel offered her free hand and introduced herself, "I'm Noel."

Sofia smiled, showing off her dimples. "I'm Sofia," she said and shook her hand.

Noel rested back to her seat and opened up the book to the very last page.

"Wait," Sofia suddenly said and Noel looked up at her. "Have you read that before?" Sofia asked and Noel put the book down.

"Nope, why?"

"Right, so you're one of those that looks at the end," she chuckled to herself.

"Yeah, I guess I am." She smiled at the very last line. "And now, I know how this ends," she teasingly said, shutting the book.

Sofia glared at her and said, "So? Don't you dare--" she was interrupted by Noel's tittering. "You're not making a very good impression right now," she joked.

"Oh, ouch. Don't worry, I'm not that kind of person."

Sofia giggled and turned her attention back to the peaceful fields outside.

Soon the silence became uncomfortable. Noel took in a sharp breath before finally telling Sofia, "You actually know me. Or at least, I know you."

"I'm sorry, what?" said Sofia, blinking rapidly.

"I'm your neighbour. They called you Fi in high school."

"O- oh.."

"I knew you wouldn't recognise me. I never really stood out and our families weren't close."

"Right.. but you know me?"

"Yeah, of course I do. You know everyone does."

"Oh, don't say that. What's your station?" Sofia asked.

"Bratislava. How 'bout you, Sofia?"

"Oh, so the next stop. I'm still in Vienna. And just call me Fi."

"Alright, Fi. Are you in a hurry?"

"No, I'm just going home. Why?"

"Aw, so you live in Austria now." Noel muttered to herself. Soon enough, she found herself thinking out loud, "I've always wanted to be friends with you, but that was far-fetched. I knew from the start that I'd never even--"

Fi then placed her hand on Noel's that was clutching her book. "Well, we are friends now. And I think I remember you smiling at me by the fence or something."

"Oh," Noel exclaimed, covering her face with her hands. "That was so embarrassing."

"Though, with the exception of your lovely greetings, living in Vienna with my boyfriend is so much better than our old neighbourhood."

Noel gave a sigh of relief but her attention was soon taken away from the pretty girl in front of her.

'BRATISLAVA HLAVNÁ STANICA'