She released him from her hold barely even sparing me a glance before she walked further in.

A slave boy walked into the room carrying two bright yellow bags, "Where would you like me to put these Mistress?"

Her hair flipped perfectly as she turned her head towards him, "Oh, just set them there," She said, pointing to the edge of the bed.

The slave did just that before taking his leave with a bow.

Layla sighed happily as soon as Nico closed the door, spinning with her arms outstretched as if she was out in an open field.

"It been so long since I've been in your room," She mentioned, taking a couple steps towards him.

"It has," He replied, seeming completely uninterested in the topic.

She just giggled before turning towards the bed.

"So, Which side of the bed am I going to take?"

"You're sleeping on the couch," he replied completely straightfaced.

His answer caused my eyes to widen.

Apparently, Layla didn't catch on how serious he was because she started laughing hysterically.

Nico rose his brows in un-amusement as she did.

"Fine," she replied playfully, "If you won't tell me, I'll just have to choose for myself."

I watched as she walked over to the side closest to the couches... Nico's side.

For some reason, that fact worried me.

Nico and I met eyes as she sat down on that side, making herself comfortable.

"I've always preferred the right side," She said quietly.

Nico just sighed in defeat, apparently coming to the conclusion that he had already lost the bed battle.

I don't know why, but I felt defeated too.

I guess I at least thought that if I couldn't sleep next to Nico while she was here, Id at least have her be far away from me.

Quietly, I sat back onto the couch, not really knowing why I stood up in the first place.

Layla's head snapped to me the second I did, causing me to flinch.

"Your pet is on the couch." She snapped, her smile being replaced with a grimace.

Nico glared at her while her head was turned towards me before he responded calmly

"Even dogs are allowed on the couch, Layla."

His words caused that aching pain in my chest to return.

She scoffed, "I guess. I always just kept my pets in their cages when I wasn't using them."

My eyes turned towards the cage and other materials that sat in the corner of the room. Most of the time I was oblivious to the fact that it was even there.

"Well, I guess we all treat our pets differently." He responded.

The ache became more intense.

Layla let out a quiet 'hmph' before she spoke, "I suppose we do."

She sat forward.

"Can she at least take my bags into the closet for me? Then you and I can catch up. It feels like we haven't talked in forever."

Nico was quiet for a moment, glancing at me like he was thinking something over. That sad look in his eye showed for barely a second

"Right," He turned his full attention to me his jaw tensing, "Khloe," He sent me a nod, gesturing to her bags.

That's when it hit me.

That's when the thought that hid itself in the back of my mind finally showed itself, now making it feel like my heart had actually shattered.

I was his pet. That's all.

As time passed I guess that fact must have slipped my mind.

I was a pet. Property. Lower than dirt.

I guess I must have ridiculously thought that I was something more.

I let myself grow insanely more comfortable around him. More comfortable than any pet should be and he let me.

He cared about me, helped me through so much, took me places, laughed with me, danced with me...

All because, I guess, I was a good pet.

He treated me better than I could have ever imagined and I guess I just got the wrong idea. I lost sight of reality.

He made me feel... Things that I had never felt before. Feelings that I wanted to hold onto forever.

I started imagining things that could happen between me and him, dreaming about him.

I had so many childish, fairytale ideas and false hopes. Hopes that maybe he-...

I swallowed the sudden lump in my throat, not allowing myself to cry.

As a pet, I needed to do what I was told. And regardless of anything that I thought, my status was still the same.

I stood from the couch, eyes pointed down towards the floor as the ache in my chest continued to pound with every beat of my heart.

"Yes, Master."