CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12

DESTINEE

As promised, Destinee's uniform was ready by the following Monday. Destinee put it on in the shop and showed Daniel. The uniform was simple. It was a dark blue, pleated skirt with a cream blouse, a smoke grey cardigan with an Umbridge patch on the left side, and matching knee socks. She was to wear black shoes with it.

"So," said Destinee as she emerged from Erma's back room, clad in her new uniform, "what do you think?"

Daniel smiled. "Very nice."

And before long, the two were walking out of Erma's Threads, bags in hand, heading back to the apartment.

Looking around, Destinee couldn't believe she'd been in New York a week. It seemed just yesterday that she was in Greenville, putting a hole through the wall in her closet, spinning in her dad's chair, waiting for her parents to come for her. And yet, it seemed like she'd been in New York forever.

It was Tuesday and Destinee was beginning to worry. Though she had her uniform and her new shoes and leotard for Fleur De la Fontaine, she was still frightened about the prospect of going to school with no one she knew, in a strange place. She was also nervous about her dancing. What if Fleur De la Fontaine didn't like her? What then?

"You'll be fine," Daniel assured her as they sat down for lunch. "Trust me."

But Destinee didn't want to trust anyone. She wanted to go back to high school in Greenville, where she already had friends and knew all the teachers. She wanted to go back to her mom's dance classes, where she felt safe and secure.

Destinee told all this to Daniel.

"Well, of course you're scared," said Daniel as he took a bite of his sandwich. "You're in a new place, going to a new school, with new people, new teachers, new everything. On top of that, you're living with a guy you've only known for a week, in a strange apartment, in a strange city, without your family and friends. Believe me, anyone would be freaked."

"Yeah, I guess so," Destinee said with a sigh. "I just wish I could get my mind off of it."

When Destinee had left home, she didn't want to think about how much she would miss her family, or how difficult it would be for her - and them - when she was gone. Though she hadn't intended to, Destinee found herself wanting to give them a call, and that's exactly what she did.

It was her dad that answered the phone.

"Hey, Sweetie," he said after she'd said hello. "How's life in the big city?"

"It's good," said Destinee. "We've gone shopping, gone to the beach, to New Jersey, and I'm even starting dance classes on Thursday."

"Wow," said Zeke, "you've certainly been busy."

"Yeah, I have."

There was a slight pause.

"School starts tomorrow," Destinee told her dad. "I'm going to this school called Umbridge. Daniel says it's really good."

At the sound of Daniel's name, Zeke had cleared his throat. "Good, good. How about I get your mother?"

"Yeah, sure," said Destinee.

There was a long pause while Zeke went to get Destinee's mom, Debbie.

Sure, Destinee knew her dad wouldn't like knowing his little girl had another dad, a real dad, and that they were actually getting along, but how

could he expect her to never mention him? It was as though he was shocked that she dare mention that man's name.

She hoped her mom would be different.