Welcome to Mexico

Mexico, 1959

"I still can't believe your father let you take this trip" Amber, my comrade for this trip and best friend says as the boat starts approaching the shore.

"I did find it odd, but he knows I always wanted to visit Mexico so he wanted to make me happy" I tell her. I remember when my father told me I was going on this trip. He was never one to do something without an ulterior motive, he always thinks things  through before doing something and that is what has me concerned. He was always very overprotective of me, his only child. And this sudden trip made me wonder what exactly was going through that head of his.

The boat stopped and soon enough, me and Amber where disembarking. I felt the hot breeze of summer hit my face and smile content. It was always a dream of mine coming here. It was a weird fascination, one my father never indulged in, until now.

"Come now! Let's drop our bags in the hotel and then we can go explore!" I say excited

I asked directions to a local merchant, thankfully my father had made me take Spanish lessons since a young age, so I was fluent.

"Muchas gracias, señor." I thanked him

We were so distracted trying to find the hotel and admiring our surroundings that we didn't notice we were being followed, until suddenly someone bumps into us from behind, throwing us to the ground and steals our personal bags with all our documents and identification.

"¡Hey! ¡Su cabrón vuelve aquí ladrón!" I yell as I get up and without giving it much a though, that, much to my father's disappointment since he always thought things trough, had not been something I inherit from him, and would often get me in trouble. "¡Devuelve las maletas!"

I follow him into a back alley, which unfortunately should have been the first clue that I was in big trouble now. But stubborn as I am, I pursue. I walk further into the street but I don't see anyone. The alley  was empty, with only a few trash cans and a few stray cats going after it's contents. As I start turning around I am suddenly grabbed from behind and I feel something sharp against my belly.

"¿Buscándome?" a man whispers in my hear.

I shiver in disgust, he stank. I was petrified with fear, all the braveness I was feeling as I chased him disappeared.

"Escucha, tú puedes quedarte con el dinero, sólo necesito mis documentos." I try to reason with him but he just laughed at me "Tus documentos me ganarán un montón de dinero. ¿Por qué los regalaría?"

"Entonces déjame ir." I plead, I could always call my father to send me new documents.

"¿Por qué? Nos estábamos divirtiendo mucho." he says then he starts to slide his hand up my leg with the intention to slide it up my skirt. "Tal vez podríamos entretenernos aún más, ¿no?"

That's when I started to really freak out. "Let me go you rapist bastard!" I yell struggling out of his hold. I didn't even cared about the knife in his hand. I just wanted to get out of there. In my struggle I manage to hit him with the back of my head in his nose, managing to surprise him which made him lessen his hold on me.

I finally break away and make a run for it, trying to get to a more populated area so somebody could help me. But luck was not on my side, I feel a strong pull on my hair and I am thrown back to the floor harshly.

"¡Perra! ¡Te arrepentirás de eso" he yells with blood pouring from his nose. He tries to lay on top of me but I just keep fighting him off, desperation has taken over me, yet I refuse to shed a tear, I would not give him the pleasure of seeing me broken like that.

But then as I was fighting him, he was suddenly thrown off of me by another man. I hadn't even heard him approach us. I see as he fights with my assaulter. He must have some training since he seems to be able to hold himself well in a fight, that or he had been in a lot of fights, probably both. I see him knock the thief unconscious, and then he turns to me. That's the first time I get a good, proper look at him. He was young, probably in his young 20's, and handsome, I notice, very handsome.

"¿Estás bien" he asks approaching me extending his hand for me to help me up.

I hesitate for a moment, it was only a moment but he seemed to notice because he said "No voy a hacerte daño. Puedes confiar en mi."

"I know." I reply taking his hand. I stand up but for some unexplained reason I don't let go of his hand, in a weird way it brought me comfort. It made me feel safe, and he didn't seem to mind since he didn't make any indication to remove his.

"Ah...American. You are a long way away from home." he says in English

"Yes, I am." I admit, did I mention his eyes? His soft, warm, brown eyes? I could get lost looking at them.

"Are you hurt miss?" he asks looking concerned. I guess it's because I'm standing there looking like a fool as I gaze into his eyes. I try to collect myself the best way possible.

"No, thank you. You manage to arrive before any real damage was made." I tell him "And thank you for that by the way. You were a real hero."

"I am no hero." he says with a soft smile "Any other would have done the same"

"Perhaps, but nonetheless, you are my hero, and for that you have my gratitude." I tell him politely

"It was nothing." he tells me again "Please let me escort you back to where you are staying, so I can make sure you arrive there safe." he suggested

"I am inclined to say no, but I don't exactly know where I am right now so I am afraid I might actually have to take you on that offer sir...?'' I ask curious about his name

"Cienfuegos. Fernando Cienfuegos." he says

"I'm Ruby. Ruby Sheridan." I tell him slowly shaking our still joint hands. He surprises me by taking my hand and slowly taking it to his lips, where he gently kissed it. "It's a pleasure to meet you Ruby."

I can't  control the blush that appears on my cheeks, so I try to hide it by removing my hand from his  and placing a few loose strands of my hair behind my ear and start looking for mine and Amber's bags. Oh My God! Amber! I left her all alone! I rush to find our bags, locating them in a dark corner against a trash bin. I grab them, opening them quickly to make sure that everything was there and I rush to Fernando's side.

"I kind of left my friend alone as I chase our thief, could you just point me in the right direction to our hotel? I really must get back to her." I tell him. I tell him the name of the hotel, hoping he would recognize it.

"I know where it is. I'll take you there. Come. I know a shortcut." he says placing his hand on my lower back. If I wasn't so worry about Amber I might actually be blushing again. What is it about this man that makes me act all goofy and warm inside? Mexico may not have started like a person would hope it would but it was certainly improving by the minute.

Vote and Comment please!