"I didn't know we owned a Prius."

"It's an easier to avoid paparazzi in this than the Lamborghini. Better gas mileage too."

"So, what's going on in town that requires both Jason and Dick's attention? Jason and Bruce even on speaking terms right now?"

Tim stopped at a red light and tapped the steering wheel with his thumbs. He clicked a button on the back of the wheel and the radio popped on. Pop music drifted from the speakers to fill the space, not necessarily to drown out my questions.

"Tim."

"Bruce doesn't want you to worry over it."

"Bruce isn't here."

Tim cast a cautious glance my way before the light turned green. We drove in silence for a few more blocks. The leaves had fallen from the majority of the trees and the sky was a bland grey, the setting sun too obscured by clouds to allow any golden light through.

We curved through the streets in a comfortable silence, just making our way through the city. I rolled down the window and rested my head on my arm, half in the car, half in the dusk of Gotham City. The street lamps cast hazy yellow cones of light along the sidewalks when there weren't any neon lights coloring the pavement.

After countless turns and stops, Tim pulled up to a meter and turned off the engine. I glanced over and watched him get out of the car and come around to open my door. He offered a hand to help me out of the car.

Standing on the sidewalk was intoxicating. The wind blew a rich woman's fragrance and the distinct smell of a hot dog vendor's booth against my face. Car horns and squeaking breaks echoed against the buildings and through the alleyways. I closed my eyes and just let the city melt back into my senses and wrap around me in a way I never realized I needed.

A soft touch on my shoulder brought me out of it. Tim handed me a jacket and we started off into the city.

"It's different." I broke the silence after a block. "I don't hear car alarms, I don't hear breaking glass in stores or a lot of police radio noise."

"The city is still enjoying this awkward kind of peace. It seems most people don't know how to handle what's going on right now, but they're too afraid to be the first one to break it."

Looking up to the skyline was reflexive. It was disappointing not to see any silhouettes moving along the rooftops. Tim's arm wrapped around my shoulder, gently leading me through the city as I watched everything around us.

No one ever stopped to look at us as we walked through Gotham. The letterman Tim wore gave most people enough information to ignore us; high school seniors strolling through the evening or college freshmen enjoying our freedom. Without speaking I knew Tim was keeping a look out for our immediate surroundings so that I could enjoy the stimulation from the city.

"I forgot what it sounded like."

"Forgot what sounds like what?"

"This many people. All the heartbeats. All the whispered 'I love you' conversations, the drunk karaoke, and the happy birthday songs." I stopped at a crosswalk and pointed at an apartment window. "Alisha is turning seven today." My finger moved two windows up and four over "Evan made his first B on a test and his parents are encouraging him to just study harder. His parents are pregnant with their second child, so scholarship money is important."

"You don't tune any of it out?"

"It's more like I choose something to focus on." The light turned green, Tim and I made our way through the crosswalk. "There's not really a way to tune anything out or-"