Chapter 25

The next day I was in black skinny jeans, grey converse, and a plain grey v-neck, waiting for Tim to show up. Of course I wasn’t in my real warehouse, I was in the one Hush had me tortured in. I had spent the majority of the morning sweeping the glass onto the trap door before sending it into the ocean. After I was satisfied with the quality of the floors, my shoes came off and I just sat in the old metal chair and waited.

Had I not been here previously, I would have been extremely concerned about the state of the building. Firefly and I had nearly burned it to the ground, but the cement was still solid. The ceiling and walls were warped beyond repair and a few of the support beams had fallen and melted in the heat.  I was able to clear out the easy debris and send it after the glass into the sea. It was around noon and I was about to give up when I heard the front door creak open. Tim sifted through a lot of debris before finally arriving before me.

“Something tells me you don’t really live here,” he smiled good-naturedly.

“Well, who knows what you were going to tell Bruce and Richard.” I grinned and stayed seated while he approached.

“I told them I was out seeing a friend, if you must know.” He smiled boyishly and I found it quite adorable.

“Oh! I’ve moved up in the ranks, I’m a friend now.” I grinned and stood up, letting my arms hit my sides. He put his left hand in his back pocket and started up at the ceiling for a moment.

“You do this?” He gestured to the building before looking back at me.

“Once upon a time,” I muttered, looking up at the sun through the many holes that had burned or melted through the roof. “I was angry, and lost, and scared. A friend of mine’s a real pyro, and I was a real mess.” I shook my head before kicking at the air.  “Yes, I did this.” I raised my arms and motioned to the destruction. “I did this a long time ago, but it never helped; not really. I felt good at the time that it happened, but it didn’t really help with anything that I needed help with.”

“Richard would have helped you I’m sure,” Tim chimed in.

“You don’t know me well Tim,” I chuckled. “I’ve got a pride issue. I don’t like going to people for help because it messes up my independent lifestyle.”

“So why am I here?” He put both hands in his back pocket and straightened up; something wasn’t right.

“I don’t know yet,” I tilted my head and squinted slightly. “What’s wrong Tim?”

“Nothing,” he brushed off.

“Sure,” I nodded. “Well, until you’re ready to stop lying to me, I’m gonna go.”

“Kat, wait.” Tim called, pulling something out of his ear and smashed it. Then he pulled another two things from his pockets and destroyed them with his shoe as well. “Better?”

“Only if those were the real thing and not something Bruce told you to do.” I raised an eyebrow and smirked at his smile.

“I don’t do everything he tells me to.”

“Good.” I walked back and grabbed his hand before leading him out the back way.

--

“So tell me, whatever happened to the virus I gave you that night?” We were walking around the most populated part of Gotham, easily hiding in the large crowds. I took another sip of my milkshake before glancing up at the rather tall boy.

“I brought it to the Batcave and told Bruce that it needed to be destroyed. He, of course, asked where I had gotten it from and why I was soaking wet.” Tim sighed, taking another bite of his hotdog.