Ch.3 Divine Mercy (Hisako Arato and Erina Nakiri)

Seated in her usual spot at the front of the class, Erina Nakiri stared lazily out the window. Next to her sat Hisako Arato, her secretary. Miss Erina always looks so bored in here...poor thing. No Totsuki teacher could hope to match her knowledge and expertise on the art of cooking! Hisako's face formed a scowl.

"Hisako, is everything all right?" Erina's delicate voice interrupted her thoughts, as she appeared to have found something more interesting to observe than the shrubbery outside.

"EEP! Of course, Miss Erina, everything is splendid as always!" Hisako nodded over-enthusiastically, drawing a laugh.

"Please don't be afraid to share things with me, Hisako. We're friends, after all."

Friends? So graceful and compassionate...I'm certainly not worthy of being friends with the God's Tongue herself.

"Y-y-yes, if that is your wish, Miss. I, well I was just thinking that you should be the one to lecture us on cooking theory. I think it would be far more interesting to hear your ideas on the subject." Erina smiled at this.

"If you want me to lecture you, I'd be more than happy to oblige during our next study session."

"Oh, no! Not at all, I wouldn't want to burden you with..." Hisako was cut off by a loud BANG! as the door to the classroom slammed open. Standing there was a student, dressed in a white Totsuki chef's coat with the sleeves rolled up. He was clearly out of breath, and sweating rather profusely; he had to rest his hands on his knees in order to gather himself. Everyone in the room looked up to see what the commotion was.

"Uggh- just who is this ruffian?" Erina turned and whispered into her ear. "He looks like a train-wreck that somehow found its way into the kitchen! And baring his arms like that...how undignified!"Of course, Miss Erina is the definition of class and high standards here at this academy! Her first impressions are always spot-on. He's rather cute, though, in spite of the disheveled appearance.

The late bell had yet to ring, but most of the class was already seated. Their instructor addressed the new arrival. "Ah, you must be our new transfer student! Tormund Waldenpond, correct?" she asked jovially, while glancing at the class roster on her laptop.

"That's me...but please call me Torrey...sorry about the door," he managed between breaths. "Campus so big...still haven't figured out..."

"Don't sweat it! Class is just about to start. Please, make yourself at home." She performed a quick scan of the room. "It looks like there's an open seat for you in the back there, next to Ms. Sadatsuka," she gestured. Several nearby students snickered.

As Torrey moved towards his seat, he made eye contact with two very beautiful girls sitting in the front row. A smile was offered by the girl with short pink hair, along with a blush (which was returned in full). The honey-blonde with startling purple eyes simply crossed her arms and turned to face the window. For some reason, he was reminded of his gastronomy teacher and her assistant.

When he was out of earshot, Erina turned to Hisako once more. "How can she be so lax with him? Any chef worth his weight in knives knows to show up AT LEAST ten minutes early. My guess is that he won't last a week here."

"You're absolutely right, Miss. And very kind, too- one week is rather generous." Wow, he's really making a terrible impression on Miss Erina. Still, we haven't seen him cook yet...maybe she has a thing against transfer students, thought Hisako, as an image of Soma Yukihira popped into her head. The second bell rang.