Ch. 40 Battle Royale

The sun hadn't even risen yet, when Torrey was woken by a loud knock at his door. With the bedroom still blanketed by darkness, he reached over to grab his phone. 6:15 am. What the hell?!

He groggily rolled out of bed and dragged his feet toward the front door. Knock Knock Knock.

"Would you hold on for just a..." he started, while opening the door. He cut himself off once he recognized his visitor. The 2nd seat, Rindo Kobayashi, stood there, looking pretty upbeat for such an early hour. She greeted Torrey with a familiar grin.

"Rise and shine! Hey, that's a good look for you, Kohai," she said, her hungry gaze traveling up and down Torrey's body. He glanced down, noticing that he was wearing only a pair of basketball shorts.

"Oh...uh, I just rolled out of bed. Literally," he said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. Rindo was biting her lip.

"Don't be sorry. I just came to see if you wanted some breakfast before we catch the big show."

"Big show? Ah, you must mean the Central announcement."

"Yeah, we're putting Tsukasa on live TV. It's gonna be hilarious!"

"That does sound like it might be fun...and I could definitely go for some breakfast right about now," said Torrey, rubbing his growling stomach.

"Great! Just throw some clothes on...or don't, and head right over," said Rindo, looking him up and down once more before heading back to her own apartment. Torrey just shook his head and returned to his bedroom to get dressed.

"He'll come around eventually," said Rindo, laughing to herself.

*********************************************

After Rindo had made Torrey the best breakfast sandwich he'd ever eaten (it was a buttermilk biscuit bun filled with pancetta, braised collard greens, marbleized egg, and espresso aioli), the two of them left for campus together.

When they arrived, a camera crew was setting up in front of the open field where notable student gatherings took place (like the announcement to kick-off the Moon Banquet Festival). There was a large white backdrop marked with the Totsuki logo, set behind a polished wooden podium.

Thinking back to the last time he was here, Torrey realized just how much had happened since he transferred to this school. The Moon Banquet Festival felt like eons ago.

While the camera crew was finishing up, the 1st seat, Eishi Tsukasa, was getting his makeup done by a professional artist. Torrey followed Rindo over to him.

"Is this really necessary? Oh, hey Torrey! How'd you like to read the announcement in my place?" said Tsukasa, already trying to hand him the script.

"Suck it up! As much as I wish my Kohai here was the face of Central, that's your job!" said Rindo.

"I guess you're right..." said Tsukasa. He headed to the stage, dejected, once the artist had finished her work.

Nene Kinokuni, the 6th seat, was standing behind the cameraman, looking serious as always. She held a set of cue cards, and Torrey smiled at her when they made eye contact. Her response was a subtle nod. Typical.

"And we're live in 3...2..." said the cameraman, holding up a finger to signal the start of the broadcast.

"Oh geez...do I really have to do this?" said Tsukasa. "I keep telling everyone that I'm not very good at public speak- DWAH!" he said, as Rindo pushed him aggressively toward the stage, sending his papers flying everywhere