"I wanted to speak with you about something."

"How did you get in?" The rage in your voice even surprised you.

"Officer Miller, he said your 'door was always open.' I thought..." He gulped, and collected himself, "I apologize for my misunderstanding.  I didn't mean to frighten you.  Please, try to relax.  Your heart rate is accelerating rapidly.  For someone in your condition-"

The rest of his diagnosis faded into white noise.  The world came rushing in as you snapped yourself out of the flashback.

Your brows creased, and you lowered your gun an inch, "You...I..."

"It's okay.  Everything is okay." His hand cupped around yours, and you flinched.

You dropped your weapon, arms flying to the side as you jumped backwards, nearly slipping on the wet floor.  You caught the door frame, yelping in pain.  You keeled over, hands bunching along the hem of your shirt and swearing under your breath.  You may have only been bruised by the bullet, but it fucking hurt.

"I'm sorry."  He frowned, cautiously extending his reach toward you, "Can I get you anything?"

"No, I'm..."  You closed your eyes, shaking your head, "No, thank you..."

"Would you like me to leave?"

"No!" You hesitated, "Uhm..." You swallowed the pool of saliva collecting in your mouth, "I mean...No.  Just...Give me a minute."

"Oka-"

You shut the door in his face.  You muted the song playing on your phone.  Turned the shower off.  Dried yourself.  Got properly dressed. Found a crazed killer staring back at you in the foggy mirror.

You swallowed hard.  Started crying.  Choked the tears down.  Locked the trauma tight in the darkest corners of your mind until it suffocated...

Onward.

...

You traversed the hallway, pulling a DCPD-branded hoodie over your head.  It was the one your friend gave you the day you'd both earned your badges.  He'd got one to match.  Said it was the most comfortable thing he'd ever worn.  It was pretty soft...

Your eyes slowly rose from the floor, ashamed.  Connor didn't seem concerned, like he'd already forgotten you'd pulled a gun on him.

His head was tilted to the side, his elbow supported by his wrist with a coin rolling between his knuckles.  His chin rested on a fist as he studied your evidence shrine, eyes dancing between notes.

"Connor?"

His head turned, his blue light flashing.

"Hello."

You rubbed your arm, leaning against the wall.

"Hey."

"Your dedication to solving this case is admirable." Connor tucked his coin in his pocket, straightening his tie and folding his arms behind his back, "I wish Lieutenant Anderson shared your resolve."

You smirked, running a hand through your wet hair, "I'm sure he wants to get this over with just as much as I do."

"And yet, he exerts half the effort..."

His eyes wandered around the apartment, taking it all in.  The spotless, white floor.  The gray walls.  The maroon and purple accents.

"Your place of residency seems rather expensive for an officer of your salary; however, property records indicate there has been no previous owner." A corner of his mouth creased, "Do you also partake in illegal activities like Lieutenant Anderson?"