In Between Chapter 38

38. Friends, Part 5

Day 5

Valkyrie woke up with an awful feeling in her gut. She ran halfway down the stairs, before suddenly slowing to a hesitant shuffle, not wanting to find out why she felt so uneasy. The last step creaked loudly, and Joshua dropped his duffle bag in the middle of the hallway. Valkyrie felt something hurt in her chest.

"You're leaving," she said flatly. Joshua wouldn't look up.

"Yeah. It's been three days and all, so-"

I know, she almost said, but instead let his words wash over her. His voice wasn't smooth like Skulduggery's, but it was his and she would miss it.

"I'm sorry," he said abruptly. Valkyrie lifted her eyes from the floor to his face. She reluctantly followed the curve of his jaw to his nose and up until she reached his eyes. She swallowed, and blinked away a few tears that threatened to fall. She breathed in deeply, then suddenly closed the distance between them and hugged him tightly. He rested his chin on the top of her head and this time, Valkyrie didn't really mind that he was taller. Joshua slowly wrapped his arms around her. She felt his hand on the back of her head and listened to the steady thump of his heartbeat.

"I'm sorry," he repeated. She shook her head and gently pushed him away. Valkyrie instinctively put on a smile.

He didn't smile back.

"I'll see you soon, all right?" She said, bumping his shoulder.

He gave her a half smile, then checked the time.

"My flight leaves at one, so I better get going."

Her smile was forced, now.

"Call me when you get there, 'Kay?"

They exchanged phone numbers, then she watched as he turned to leave.

"Josh, one last thing."

She put her hand on his shoulder, and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I do that for my friends, too," she whispered.

He blinked, then grinned for real. Valkyrie thought that he might've blushed, but she could've been wrong. It was hard to tell in the dim light.

"You called me Josh."

Then the door shut, and Valkyrie was alone.

-

Sometime later, when the sky went from gray to blue, Skulduggery came downstairs.

"He's gone, now," she commented, sitting on the floor with her back to the couch.

Skulduggery joined her.

"I don't think he'll ever quite go away," he commented, handing her her phone.

@ the airport. Miss u.

Valkyrie smiled into the morning light.

"I don't think I'd want him to."

-

I've been watching too many k-drama-like things.

-ravenwings52