In Between Chapter 33

33. Chess

"How is your search going?" China asked, examining the chess board before her.

"There was a sighting in America. Two minor towns on the East Coast were destroyed." Skulduggery watched as she moved her rook.

"Since you're playing chess with me right now instead of running after another dead end, I'm guessing that it wasn't true. Your turn."

Skulduggery ignored her, and instead captured her knight.

China contemplated the board, tapping a slender finger on the edge of the mahogany table.

"You can't keep trying to bring her back, Skulduggery. You know that she isn't there any longer, and that whatever may be left of her personality will soon be consumed by Darquesse."

Skulduggery didn't say a word. China finally decided to move her bishop back to its original position.

The detective finally spoke, picking up his pawn and placing it so that China had to choose between her rook and her knight. His voice was soft, and China had to strain her ears in order to hear what he was saying.

"I'm not going to let you stop me. I don't care whether I have your support or not; I'll find a way to get her back."

China moved her knight to safety, and changed the subject as her rook was taken.

"You've always been better than me when it came to strategy, and it seems that your talent in war applies to chess as well."

"You know that I don't appreciate small talk, China."

China frowned, and sacrificed her queen in order to save her king.

"You didn't seem to have a problem with talking when it came to Valkyrie."

Skulduggery stood up abruptly, shoving his chair away from the table. The white queen fell and rolled under the table, the small wooden crown chipping from the impact. He picked up his queen from the black side of the board, and pocketed it.

"Unlike you, China," he said coldly, "I will never sacrifice my queen for my king."

China didn't try to stop him when he left.

-

I'm going to be gone for three weeks, so I'm afraid that I'll be on a hiatus until then! Sorry!

-ravenwings52

In Betweenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें