Chapter 1.

Elliot stuffs his hand into his pockets as we make our way to the Neem tree, sitting down next to it's thick trunk. I sit with my back against it as Elliot bends his knee, placing his hands on them. The early morning breeze makes me close my eyes and rest my head back at the trunk as the thought of being here for the last time for a while makes my stomach turn. Coming here every friday has been an unsaid rule between Elliot and me.

We usually do our homework or watch some Netflix and watch the stars roll up the sky as it gets dark. I will miss our Friday nights the most, even though we don't really spend the night together. He and I had to come to terms of waiting till marriage to do any sorts of intimate activity. I feel Elliot staring and I open my eyes to Elliots blue ones and he smiles,

"You're sad, is it Harvard?" He asks and the feeling in the pit of my stomach returns. Harvard. For which I had stayed up late and woke up early. And yet after the initial excitement of receiving the letter of acceptance and then crying about it to my dad, I can't seem to let go of the feeling of leaving them behind. Well, Elliot won't be 'left behind' because he'll be off to Princeton a week after I do.

"No, it's just...I'll be missing this. I'll miss you." I confess and the heavy feeling starts to lighten. Maybe I need to get some things off my chest.

He sits closer and looks me in the eye,
"I'll miss you too." He replies, his eyes soft. "But I think we should talk about what job you will be applying as soon as you get there. You need to find a job within a week so you can have enough time to settle into your job before the classes start to get complicated" he explains and I nod. Having Elliot as a boyfriend was like a blessing. He understood what had to be done and never fails to remind me of it.

We talk about the local job opportunities near the campus and I decide to apply as an intern / assistant in ArcherTech and SimonSuzo. A humble architecture company and a publishing house a little farther from the campus.

As Elliot closes the wikipedia page of SimoneSuzo, he shuts his laptop down and tells me it's almost noon, time to go.

I check the time and realize I only have a couple of hours before getting ready to go to the campus where I'll be staying for a while.

We walk back and although it's been a year since we started dating, I am surprised when he holds my hand. Maybe this is his farewell gesture, I think as I firmly hold his hand all through out our walk home.

 Maybe this is his farewell gesture, I think as I firmly hold his hand all through out our walk home

I'm almost ready and am slipping into my black tights when there's a knock on the door. I hastily pull up the stretchy material and look at myself in the mirror. A black full sleeved shirt and a plaid skirt. My usual attire. I pull my skirt down to knees and open the door.

My dad is standing there with flour on his face and hands stained with what I suspect is dark pink food colour. He is the General Manager of a magazine whose name always slips my mind. But when he's home he likes to spend all his time creating chaos with baking powder and whipping cream. It's his passion, he says.

"You ready, Em?" He asks, wiping his forehead adding a little pink on it.

I smile and nod before going inside to grab my purse and drag my suitcase out. I have packed only necessary items like my favourite novels, shoes, toiletries and some clothes. My wardrobe was getting repetitive so I just packed most of it in a cardboard and gave my dad to donate it last night. I will go shopping once I get settled in the campus.

I walk downstairs behind dad who is noisily dragging my suitcase down and the smell of baked cake fills me up.

Dad settles the case next to the couch and rushes to the kitchen. Oh no.

"I baked some fine vanilla velvet cake," he hands me a small clear plastic container with the slice of the cake inside.

"It's okay dad," I begin but he thrusts it into my hand and I sigh. He smiles just as the doorbell rings.

Guess Elliot's here.

I open the door and Elliot asks me if I'm ready. I reply with a shaky nod and he comes in grabbing my suitcase with him. He waits on the porch and I mouth 'just a sec'.

I turn to my dad and hug him and breathe the familiar scent of cakes, vanilla and cream. He let's go and pushes my hair back.

"Be good, Em. I don't have to tell you to study hard cuz I know you wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your future. But what I have to tell you is that no nights out partying or drinking. And keep distance from anyone who does drugs." He rambles and I laugh.

"Okay okay, what about boys? Not gonna warn me about them?" I jokily ask.

He snorts, "If I know one thing, it's that you'll never do anything to hurt Elliot." His face goes serious. " Right?"

I look up at him, "Of course, dad!" I am surprised he even needed to ask. Elliot has been there for me during my darkest times and I would rather die than hurt him in any way. I owe him a lot and for that I'll always be great full to him.

He pats my head awkwardly and then ushers me outside to Elliot who has called a taxi. He looks down at the package in my hand and laughs, going over and keeping the suitcase in the trunk. I get in and Elliot jumps in beside me a moment later.

In the few moments before the taxi drives away, I gaze at my house and my dad standing there, waving with a small smile and mentally snap it in my head for when I'm homesick.