Being left alone at home wasn't such a bad thing. Siya had  gone to the nearby fancy store and the house was my private club for the next few hours. M Tunes was playing in the background for that clubbing aura.

I tossed the book away and decided to make myself some cheese Maggi in the kitchen, all the whole swaying my body as if a bug went into my clothes because I self-defined it as dance.

Only when I came back with the bowl full of noodles did I hear the doorbell ring. I peered into it. My sister is this early...? She usually takes at least a quarter of an hour to choose one set of earrings in the store.

My mother, holding her handbag and some groceries.

Slapping my forehead, I ducked deftly under the cabinet and found the switch to the television in the dark and switched it off.
I even sprawled a few subject books on the table for good measure.

Then I peeled the door open.

"I heard some noise..?"

Smoothly I replied, "Must be the construction taking place near our apartments."

She nodded and placed the vegetable basket in my hand and wiped her forehead with her hanky.

"Get me a cup of coffee, no?" She said, stripping off the strap of her watch.

Wordlessly I retired into the kitchen. Coffee was something I learnt recently and I was very proud of my skill.

I heated up the milk on the stove while I had the instant coffee ready with me in a tumbler. I waited, drumming the counter.

"Where is Siya?"

"She went to Ustad Nagar to buy something."

My mother mumbled something and the bedroom door creaked.

I sprinkled my secret ingredient, hot chocolate powder on the frothy cup of coffee and grabbed some butter biscuits for my mother.

She already changed into her nightgown and was sitting in the dining area.

She accepted the cup and the biscuits. "Were you studying?"

"Was planning to," That was at least half true.

"Planning to?" She asked, almost horrified. "Your finals are nearing Shyla. Be more serious. It's your future!"

"Yes, ma," I mumbled sheepishly.

"Go read that chapter in Physics that Siya taught you. Don't sit idly."

I dragged my feet to my school bag and retrieved my fat textbook.

"Were you again reading storybooks?" Her voice echoed behind me.

"No, no." Never touched them with an eight-foot pole.

"I'll hide your library card until your exams."

Bull's eye. Deflated,I sighed and retired to my room.

I flipped the pages of my Physics textbook to settle on one decent looking concept. I even sharpened my pencil for highlighting purposes.

My sister's mobile buzzed.

Apparently, she forgot it at home.

1 new message.

It's been so long. Miss me Shyla?

Who is...

Oh, Kabir.

I reread the message and smiled to myself before typing a reply.

It's for the greater good. :D

The reply was almost instant.

I just want to see you tomorrow.

I smiled to myself before pressing the buttons on the mobile.

Okay, let's meet for music class in the evening?

And my texting escapade ended when my mom entered the room.

"Er, have to ask Kayal a doubt about this..." I said, deleting the messages quickly.

Being a teacher, I thought my mom would propose helping me. But she just retrieved a bottle of herbal hair oil from the shelf and turned away.

"Okay, keep the phone away and study." She said dismissively.

I obliged and threw the phone at my sister's bed.

I hummed a tune while reading about the left-hand rule.

The phone buzzed again.