Chapter 6

..."Too bad kitten. We're going where I wanna go". Frick you, nameless boy.

The car ride wasn't too long and despite the many questions I threw at the nameless boy, he refused to answer them. So I sat, impatiently watching the trees fly past in the dark. Surely it was past midnight. The stars and the moon lit up the road. Poor Kiki, I never told her that I left the party, I thought. I turned to the boy. "Can I borrow your phone?" I asked. He nodded without asking why and handed me a black phone. I dialled Kiki's number. She didn't pick up so I left a voicemail. "Hey Kiki, it's Vivian. Just wanted to let you know that I was okay. I don't have my phone on me and I'm using someone else's phone" I said, flashing the boy a smile. My focused drifted to my left arm. Black marker was smudged along it. I tried to make out the words. Numbers. Someone's... Phone number? "Anyways, see you soon" I said as I hung up on Kiki's number. "I dialled the number and the phone picked up on the third ring. "Hello?" Noah's voice rung through the phone. I let out a breath of relief. The boy tensed next to me. Finally someone I could talk to! "Hi! It's Vivian. When? How?" I asked. "While we were dancing, I just, you know. Wrote it down?" I mentally face palmed. "How's Kiki?" I asked, fidgeting. "She's fine. In fact she's here with me. Do you want to talk to her?" "Yes please". I waited as Noah gave the phone to Kiki. "Hey Vivi..." Kiki said, trailing off. She still sounded vaguely drunk. "Where are you?" I asked. "I'm at-at home". "Do you know where daddy is?" My heart dropped. She's asked about dad before. "He'll be home soon". 

It was the easiest thing to tell her. To tell her that Dad would be home soon. Of course, that was a lie. He was never coming home.

"Wait..." Vivi said, softly. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" She shouted. I wrenched the phone from my ear. She was going to make me deaf. I smiled to myself. "Thanks, Ki but I think you should go sleep". She didn't respond. Instead, Noah's voice replied through the phone. "...And she's out". I laughed. "Look, I'm sorry for kissing you I was just..." "Drunk?" I suggested. He chuckled. "Yeah. And may I ask where the lady is?" "I'm...with a friend".

Again, another lie. I hardly had friends.

"Okay. Well I'll let you go, but you have to promise me a chance to redeem myself" he whispered. "Sure". 

We pulled up at a dead end, in front of a row of trees. The night chill made me shiver. "I gotta go, see you later". Content, I hung up and returned the phone. We climbed out of the car and I followed the boy underneath a wall of vines. "Where exactly are w-" What was behind that was spectacular. A field which glimmered in the moonlight was before me. A cliff on the far side of the field looked over the raging ocean which reflected the stars and the moon perfectly. The wheat grains looked too perfect, as if it had been plucked from a shutterstock picture. The light breeze had died leaving the trees perfectly still. I carefully walked through the wheat grains, my fingertips lightly brushing the tips of the wheat grains. The boy turned around and grinned at me. "This is my secret haven". The boy sat down on the very edge of the cliff and I couldn't help being nervous as I sat down next to him. I swallowed and peered over the edge of the cliff. Rocks scattered along the surface of the water caused me to shiver. If I were to jump or fall, I would most certainly hit one of those rocks. I'd be dead in an instant. 

We sat in silence for what felt like an eternity. Only then did I realise how little I truly knew about this boy. Completely out of the blue to spoke.

"Wilder". I raised an eyebrow. What's that supposed to mean?  "My name is Wilder". Finally something I could call him. "Wilder" I repeated, letting the name sit on the edge of my tongue. My mouth went dry. "My name's Vivian but I guess you already knew that" I said, recalling the time when he called me by my name. He looked at me, eyes wide. "I-I...you...talk in your sleep?" he said guiltily. Ignoring the fact that I didn't actually talk in my sleep I made him an offer."Let's play a game" I said, mimicking Noah. He didn't look at me, instead watched the ocean. I bit my lip and continued. "I get to ask you three questions". He opened his mouth to protest but I cut him off first. "And in return you can ask me three questions. Deal?". He glanced at me and studied me. "Deal".

 ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

"Question one. Where were your parents?" I asked, recalling how nobody was home when we were there less than half an hour ago. It was late at night which meant that around that time, his parents should've been home. He chuckled and sighed. After an extended silence he replied. "My mother is a flight attendance and she isn't normally home". I immediately thought of my own mother who was herself a flight attendant. Oh how I can't wait for Mom to come home, I thought smiling as I remembered when I was younger, always counting the days of which mom came home. "And your dad?" I questioned. "My dad has a small jewelry shop in the city. One on the corner of the street, right across from the candy store". I nodded.

"Question one, for you" Wilder said, smiling. I studied him and my face flushed red when both he looked at me and a thought crossed my mind. Boy he's hot. "Where are your parents?" I was taken surprise by his question. He's never been to my place let alone know that both of my parents were...absent. "H-how? W-w-" I stuttered. He shrugged. "You didn't call your parents and you said that your parents would be 'home soon'" he said, holding up his air quotes. I hung my head. There were three subjects that I generally avoided talking about. Wilder hit the jackpot on one of them. But I didn't want to seem weak and my pride would be damaged for a while after that. So I did what any normal girl would. Suck it up. "My mom is a flight attendant too" I said. I watched as his eyes widened and his face flushed with panic. Oh you dumb boy. He lied. 

"My mom retired a few years ago" I nodded, pretending that I was satisfied by his excuse. "But...continue. Your dad?". I nodded again. "My dad...he..." I took a breath. "His body was found, left out in the woods. They said he had been tortured for hours before being stabbed to death". I let out a sob. "The wolves got to him after that". I blinked hard, holding back tears. "I don't even know why. The worst things always happen to me, and the people I love". Wilder glanced at me, sympathy filling his eyes. "Why?" He asked softly. "First my dad, then my boyfriend. He was killed in a car crash. They checked his pulse and everything. Then one day his body just vanished. Out of thin air". I snorted. "Apparently, he was some secret boyfriend so no-one knew what he looked like except for me," I pointed to myself. "The stupid girl who doesn't remember anything".

He laughed, but it was cold. A rustle behind us caused me to jump, almost slipping off the cliff. A brown deer grazed about 10 meters from us. Wilder leaped to his feet and glanced at me. No emotion came through his eyes. He ran towards the dear before I could shout, "ARE YOU GOING TO TURN INTO A FRICKING WOLF?".

He ran, faster than I'd ever seen before launching into the air, his skin transforming into fur. I screamed as he pounced, razor sharp teeth puncturing into the deer's skin. They went down and my gut told me that If I ran over there with them, the experience might not be the same. I stepped back, almost over the edge. The wolf looked at me. I held my breath. It turned away from the dead deer and edged towards me. I looked back at the ocean, spotted with rocks. I looked back to wolf, blood dripping from it's jaw. Of course I chose the most reasonable option. I leaped off the cliff, screaming as the wolf jumped, watching me over the cliff. So this was how I died. Not what I had expected but it defiantly was one way to go out.