[[ 1 ]]

[[•Nightmares' POV•]]

School was rough, as always. Then again, what do you expect when you're despised by you're entire AU? Yes, that's me, the one and only. Nightmare, guardian of negative feelings, screw-up extrodinaire.

Let me give you a taste of an average day. You probably want an explanation anyways.

I'd be considered a normal student if not for my backstory. My brother and I are guardians of this tree, the "holder of both positive and negative feelings"; so glorious, yes, I know. Save your enthusiasm, please. 

My brother's name is Dream. He represents all of these positive feelings; he's always pretty happy, very kind, sweet, pure. He gives off a cheery aura, which makes people happy.

I myself am pretty much the opposite. Unlike my brother, I don't act like the part I represent; I'd like to think I'm fairly calm and collected most of the time. I get emotional a lot, and that's given me quite enough teasing comments about being a crybaby. I do, however, make people sad or angry by nature, and the teasing and hateful comments increase when I'm by myself. I like sticking next to my brother, we kind of balance each other out and make people a little less hostile. That doesn't mean they're nice, however.

Now that you've had a little "backstory", I'll get back to my original thought. My idiotic, abusive, unjust school.

First and foremost, the teachers don't really like me. They don't say it, no, but they do a lot to stop the bullying that I receive, either mentally or physically. They're very hard on me, usually resulting in bad grades, and that isn't just an excuse for lack of studying; once, Dream and I shared the same answers for a test. He got an A. I got a C.

The students are even worse; most of them have been raised to believe this whole "nightmares and bad things are dangerous and should be feared and despised, bla bla bla-"

It... kinda sucks.

I've gotten bullied since grade school. In that time, I've been hit, kicked, broken and smashed; the only reason I've survived is because of our healing magic.

All jokes aside, I've had numerous nights of crying and terrible thoughts. The only reason I'm still alive is probably because of my brother.

Both inside and outside of school, Dream is basically worshipped. People follow him around in awe, girls send him love letters like... constantly, he receives free crap from pretty much everyone, and everyone considers him perfect. Compare me to THAT, and-

Well, self-explanatory.

However, no matter how people treat Dream, I will always adore him for who he is. He's sweet, but sometimes, years ago, he'd come home and start crying because of all the attention. I've had to keep him company until he fell asleep numerous times, and as boring as it may seem, it's kinda calming to listen to him sleeping; so relaxed, carefree. Over the years, he's gotten more and more used to his attention, sometimes even enjoying it, and I've had to fight harder and harder for a reason to spend time with him. I've spent many nights lying in bed and crying without a single word of encouragement. Just me with my thoughts.

Those thoughts are brutal. Unforgiving.

At times, they were even suicidal.

I was never really a "depressed" type of person, but lately I've been feeling... awful. I hate it, it just sounds so cliché. The thing is, it's not because of hormones, just the hate and fear always following me around; try staying positive when people hit you and tell you that they hope you die, threats hitting you on the back of your skull like rocks. It's terrifying, knowing that someone could try to kill you anytime, fearing another beating from your violent peers. The only reason your death hasn't come sooner is because nobody wants to upset your brother, and your throat goes dry at the thought of being without him.