Chapter Thirteen // Leo?

A low raspy sound broke the silence, and had me clambering out of bed. Leo lay there peaceful, and though there was a horrible dread settling in the pit of my stomach, I didn't want to wake her. I crossed the landing and crept down the stairs softly. It was dark but fear stopped me from turning the light on. If they had come for me I couldn't stop them. Buff had already warned me and I knew it was inevitable they would want me. I was just a pawn on the chessboard that Box had created, the first to enter battle and the first to die. My soul was marked ready for the experiments, I had known that they would draw my name out of the metaphorical hat sooner or later. I accepted that a long time ago but now? Now that I had met Leo, I had changed my mind, there was more to this life than I first thought.

My eyes adjusted to the darkness that surrounded me. The midnight intruder moved closer, it's claws scraping hideously across the wooden floor. I could see the slime dripping from it's hunched over body; slopping to the floor in thick globs.

"Felixssss..." It whined, it's voice trembling with the pain of a thousand tortured souls.

"What are you?" I whispered, the blood in my veins cold with horror.

It cracked it's head to one side and opened it's mouth, it's flesh tearing as it did so. It's jaw hung loosely as it laughed, a long grey tongue slurping around it's lips. I could hear it's broken bones rattling together as it wheezed. It continued to move closer, leaving my question unanswered. It smelt like rot and I gagged as my throat closed up, my nostrils burning under the strain.

I felt my resolve weaken in it's presence, despair clawing at my heart. Sinking to my hands and knees, I convulsed in agony as it reached for me. 

Leo

He had gone. I woke up cold, afraid and more regrettably alone.

"Felix?" I peered out in to the hall and listened carefully, hoping that he would come running up the stairs with breakfast or coffee. The house was eerily quiet, the calm before a storm.

Goosebumps travelled up my bare arms, as I braved the hall and entered the bathroom. The clothes were still folded on the floor where I'd left them; a long sleeved white shirt, dark blue faded jeans and some socks. I felt strange going back into his room when he wasn't there, so I decided to change in the guest room. When I opened the door, the first thing I saw was a beautifully painted landscape of a garden. It framed the window with two large oak trees canopying the velvet green curtains. Each flower was painted by hand; delicate and detailed, it was hard to look away. A large white fitted wardrobe filled the left wall, and a double bed with crisp white linen was centred on the right. The room was elegant, too elegant for a guest room and I couldn't help but wonder who it belonged to. Felix had never mentioned anyone else, but then again I really hadn't known him that long. A pang of regret curled in my stomach at the thought. I was such an idiot. 

I crossed the room and sat down on the bed, looking around once more. On the floor by the bedside table was a pair of worn white trainers, and considering I had no shoes, I decided they would have to do. Felix had left and there was no way I was leaving to find Eric in a pair of socks. Ultimately that was what I needed to focus on, I had to find him. Nothing else mattered any more.

I just couldn't understand why Felix would just up and leave while I slept. We had spent the night wrapped in each others arms, I could still taste oranges on my lips. He had abandoned me, he had spent the night with me and disappeared by morning. I couldn't believe that he had used me. The pain from that realisation felt like a knife in my heart. I couldn't believe that I had let him get underneath my skin. Each time I questioned myself, the knife pushed deeper, twisting until the pain became unbearable. How could I let one man crush me so profoundly in such a short time?