Chapter Seven // Leo

Leo

My feet were blistered and my bones burned with exhaustion, I had no choice. When I reached the next town, I trudged into a dimly lit bar and sat in a booth at the back. A few men glanced my way and I saw no concern or sympathy in their eyes, just lust and greed. This bar is the last place any young woman wanted to be at two in the morning, but the only place a woman like me could seek momentary refuge.

I ran my hands over the blackened soles of my feet, praying that I would be able to make the rest of the journey. The pain that stabbed at the nerves in my legs was unbearable, but it kept me alert. I couldn't let my guard down now, I feared the time when sleep would take me.

"Are you gonna buy a drink love?"

I snapped out of the haze I had drifted into, and looked up to find myself staring into a hardened face. He raised his left eyebrow and smirked at me. I blinked and sighed when I realised that I didn't have any money. It was very unlikely that this man would let me have a glass of water, never mind anything alcoholic."I'm sorry, I just walked such a long way... I needed to sit down."

He looked at me carefully before looking around the bar and shaking his head. I hoped that I wasn't mistaken when I saw a flash of understanding cross his face. "Where'd you come from?"

"I, well, I don't know. I've come too far to go back. I haven't even got anywhere to go. I just had to get away." I felt my bottom lip tremble uncontrollably and the weight of everything forced tears to my eyes. Quickly wiping at them, I hung my head and took a deep breath. I had to keep calm and figure out what I was going to do. 

"You in some kinda trouble miss?" My eyes met his, a frown furrowing his brow. He didn't seem annoyed, to my surprise his eyes were full of concern.

"I don't know." If I told him, he would think I was insane and I just didn't know what else to say.

"Well, you can have a glass of water but there isn't much else I can help you with." He scratched at the stubble on his chin, obviously puzzled at my situation. 

"That's fine." I bit my bottom lip, unsure of what to say. "Thank you." We stared at each other for a moment before he cleared his throat to speak.

"It's alright love, I'll go get that water for you."

I watched him retreat back to the bar before I had another look at the men sat around the bar. Half empty pints and glasses littered the place. One guy had fallen asleep, face down at the bar. Another man sipped a drink slowly, whilst muttering to himself. "They're everywhere Marty, no escape from the inevitable... We are just in the way... She's coming for us all... Two worlds colliding... War Marty... We're all dead anyway."

"Miss?" The bartender stood holding out the glass of water for me. I only caught pieces of what the man at the bar was saying, but my heart raced at his words. I tore my gaze from the man and opened my mouth to ask the bartender who he was. He put the glass down in front of me and leaned in his voice a whisper in my ear. "Look miss, I'm sorry if I'm mistaken and you know nothing of the sort but there was a man that stumbled in here a couple of days ago- much like you did tonight, and I can't help but think that you knew him."

My eyes widened in shock, and fear crept slowly across my skin at his whispered words. Before I could respond he grabbed me and lifted me so I stood up. Looking directly into my eyes he handed me the water.

"There's a room right there next to the toilets. You need to go in there and hide. Some people are coming for you and they will be here any minute now. I need you to stay there until I come and get you. These people aren't the sort you want to be looking for you miss."