Rooftop (Jessie and Carlos POV)

Start from the beginning

            “Yes,” I answered, catching on to her questioning. “Are you trying to accuse Carlos of drugging me?”

            “Of course not,” she said dismissively. “But someone must have. Did you leave your water anywhere while it was open?”

            “No,” I said before remembering putting it down on the counter. “Actually, yeah I did. When Carlos and I were helping you, we put our waters down on the counter next to us. But it was only for a couple of minutes.”

            “Yeah, but you had your backs turned,” Samara said. “It only takes a few seconds of someone's attention somewhere else to get drugged.”

            “You're saying someone drugged my water?” I asked. “How would they even know which one was mine? I mean, Carlos and I are constantly swapping drinks when we put them down. The person couldn't possibly know for sure that I was going to take the same bottle.”

            “Maybe not,” Samara said. “Which means they probably drugged both the bottles just in case. Did Carlos drink from his after Jeremy and I left?”

            “No,” I answered. “Only I did.”

            “Well then that explains why he remembers what happened last night and you don't,” she said. “It also explains why you broke up with him when you normally wouldn't have.”

            “Oh no,” I groaned, hiding my face in my hands. “I can't believe I did that. Not to Carlos...”

            “It technically wasn't you if it makes you feel better,” Samara said hurriedly. “You couldn't really control what was happening. It was the drug.”

            “And yet I feel worse,” I said.

            “Why?”

            “Because knowing Carlos, he probably picked up that something was wrong but no matter what he said I probably just brushed it aside,” I answered. “And now because some asshat decided to go around drugging people, I lost the only person who ever seems to understand me.”

            “But you didn't,” Samara insisted. “It's like I told you, he's been trying to see you all morning. He obviously knows that what happened last night wasn't right. Just talk to him.”

            “Are you kidding me?” I said. “I can't talk to him. I can't even stand the thought of looking at him and seeing the pain I caused him! I'm better off just locked in here.”

            “You can't stay locked in here forever,” Samara said and I just stayed quiet. She looked at me and sighed before getting up from my bed. “Fine, you won't talk to him then I will.”

            “What?” I asked. “Why?”

            “Because the two of you are meant for each other and I'm not going to sit here and watch while you let him slip away,” she said. “I'll talk to him and tell him what must have happened. And if he still wants to see you, then I'm letting him in the room and neither one of you will be allowed to leave until you talk it out and are back together.”

            “Samara-”

            “Eh!” she cut me off. “I don't want to hear it. This is happening and you are dealing with it. And in case you consider running out of here, you should know that their room door is wide open and Carlos is sitting in view of it. Now, I'll be right back.” Without another word, Samara walked out of the room leaving the door halfway opened.