Kitchen Encounter (Jessie POV)

Seeing Carlos the way he is now makes it impossible to suspect that he could have gone through something so heartbreaking. Because I know him so well, it was easy for me to imagine how he would've put so much blame and guilt on himself for what happened that day with his dad. Watching Carlos now as he went through the house trying to keep Cassie and some of the other younger kids entertained with tag, I could see how serious he takes his role of taking care of his family. Even though he was playing with all of the kids, he always made it a point of going for Cassie when he was it and she squealed in delight every time.

Getting a soda from the fridge, I turned to return to watching them all play when I bumped into someone accidentally. He was taller than me with light brown hair and brown eyes. I hadn't recognized him from anyone I met the day before and guessed he was one of the newly arrived guests. He didn't resemble anyone in Carlos' family so I figured he was either from Phoebe's family or a plus one like me.

“Sorry,” he said. “I didn't realize anyone was in here.”

“It's okay,” I said. “I should be the one apologizing; I bump into people a lot.”

“Well in that case, bump away,” he smiled.

“What?” I said. I wasn't sure, but something told me he was flirting and I suddenly felt very uncomfortable. I could only hope I was overreacting.

“Sorry,” he said again. “Sometimes I say things I probably shouldn't. But I can't help it when I'm around a pretty girl.” His smile grew wider and I suddenly knew for sure that he was flirting with me.

“I have a boyfriend,” I said bluntly, looking around behind him, hoping that Carlos would materialize. He was usually good at his timing and I hoped he would realize I needed him now.

“Sure you do,” he said flippantly and stepped forward. I took a step backward in response and he became amused. “Relax, I just want a soda.”

 “Then I'll move,” I said eagerly and walked around him. “I should be going anyway.”

“You don't have to,” he said, smile suddenly dropping. “I mean, I don't even know you're name and I'll probably be seeing a lot of you this weekend.”

“Doubtful,” I laughed nervously.

“Jess?” Carlos' voice floated in from down the hall and relief flooded through me. Always my hero from awkward situations.

“In the kitchen!” I answered. Carlos walked into the kitchen, looked at me and instantly registered my awkwardness.

“I was wondering where you disappeared to,” he said coolly, coming to my side.

“Just wanted a soda,” I answered. He nodded and looked at the latest addition to the house.

“Hi, I'm Carlos,” he said. “Alex's cousin.”

“I'm Liam,” the new guy answered. “Phoebe's brother. I just got in and was about to introduce myself to...”

“Jessie,” Carlos answered, taking my hand. “My girlfriend.” I tried to stifle a laugh at his not so subtle hint to Liam to back off.

“She mentioned you,” Liam said. “Didn't know you were here though.” In my mind I translated it as I didn't think you were real, and looking at Carlos I guessed he heard the same thing.

“I was with my sister,” Carlos replied.

“Speaking of,” I intervened. “Where is she?”

“Her and the other kids are with my mom,” he answered. “She's teaching them Red Rover.”

“Cool,” I said.

“Yeah, so are you ready to go?” he asked, seeming to forget Liam who's eyes were on us.

“Go...where?” I said, confused.

“It's a surprise,” he winked at me before turning to Liam. “It was nice meeting you.”

“Yeah, you too,” Liam replied. Carlos started pulling me out of the kitchen and then the back door and the entire time, I could swear I felt Liam's eyes still on us.