Chap. 34 Beer Bottles and Plans

Mulai dari awal

He nodded. "Of course," he said before he placed a hand on my shoulder. "We'll get her back. I promise."

"Yeah," I said with a small nod. He stayed there for a second before patting my shoulder then stood up and walked off, beer bottle in hand.

"I'm heading to bed, but holler if you need anything," he offered, causing me to nod though I didn't look at him. As soon as I heard the door closed, I felt tears build up in my eyes, but I quickly blinked them away. No matter how many times I reminded myself, my body couldn't seem to understand that crying wouldn't magically bring Cat back. I took another quick drag of my cigarette before I put it out, a cloud of smoke exiting my nostrils as I slowly forced myself up, winces and grunts escaping my lips as I did so. Once I was up, I took agonizingly slow steps toward the balcony door, each step hurting worse than the last until I made it to my- our bathroom.

I turned on the water for a bath, which I seldom took since I preferred showers, then slowly stripped out of my clothes. They smelled rancid. If Cat were here she'd make fun of me, probably refuse to kiss or be near me until I showered and disintegrated the clothes, then maybe, just maybe she'd let me hold her. A small laugh escaped my lips at the thought, but as soon as it did I instantly felt guilty. Why am I laughing if Cat's not here? Why am I moving if Cat's not right next to me? Nothing makes sense if she's not next to me, enjoying every second of life with me. And that's my fault.

Blinking back my tears once more, I worked my way into the bath, the warm water cascading over my tense and tired muscles, soothing them. But it did little for my racing mind. I closed my eyes and slowly started allowing myself to sink down until my nose was barely above the water and stayed there for a while until the water started getting cold, causing me to quickly wash before climbing out. I quickly dried myself off before I put on some boxers and a sweatshirt I'd taken from Cat's room. It must've been of her favorites because it was overflowing with her intoxicating scent. I need her back.

I looked down at the ring on my finger, almost identical to hers save for the color, before pressing a gentle kiss on it like I had been every night. It was the closest I could get to kissing her for at least another week...or ever. I shook those thoughts away. I will get her back. I had to.

I was pulled out of my thoughts once more by a knock at the door. My head snapped up to see Mason leaning heavily against the door, his torso bare except for the bandage they'd been pressed against his stomach where they had to dig the bullet out and stitch him back up. His messy black hair was hidden beneath a beanie and the dark circles beneath his eyes confirmed Liam's story that he hasn't been able to get any sleep. "May I come in?" he questioned, his voice tired and rashy from both the lack of sleep as well as the constant yelling from his relentless nightmares.

"Of course, Mas," I said, causing him to nod before timidly entering, a slight wince escaping his lips as he messily sat on the bed next to me.

"You good?" I asked, raising an eyebrow, causing him to let out a humorless laugh.

"Are you?" he asked, causing me to scuff and shake my head. "Same. Look, I've been trying to come up with some way that I can help you get her back, but everything keeps boiling down to the fact that they'll be on the lookout since they specifically asked you to go alone. It doesn't help that I'm too injured to do anything if I somehow managed to slip past their surveillance and something were to happen, and I hate it. I hate being unable to clean up a mess I made and now we're all paying for it and I just- man I really hate it. I hate myself too." I saw his eyes get glassy with tears as I opened my mouth to say something, he continued. "If I'd been stronger and smarter and more observant, my siblings wouldn't be dead. Matthew wouldn't have been killed. Cat wouldn't be out there alone and most likely terrified. You wouldn't be here hurting. Her dad wouldn't be wondering if his only daughter was dead or alive. It all boils down to me and my weaknesses and-"

"Mas, stop doing this to yourself," I said, cutting him off as tears started rolling down his pale cheeks. "None of what has happened was your fault. It's the Silencers'. It's their fault people we loved are dead. It's their fault that we're all hurting. It's their fault Cat's hurt. And it's their fault that you're in the position you're in now. I don't know how many times I have to say this until it sticks, but you went down for Cat. You literally took a bullet for a girl you've known less than five months, yet you still risked your life for her because she's important to not only me but all of us as well. You were with her when I wasn't. You protected her. So you have nothing to blame yourself for. If anything it's my fault. I love her. That night I promised her my heart, my soul, my everything then failed her and in turn, I've failed all of you as well." I sighed and looked down at my ring that I'd been twisting on my finger.

"No," Mason said, causing me to look up to see him wiping his tears and shaking his head. "No, I refuse for us to take the blame for this. It's not our faults, it's this stupid life that we've been thrust into without a safe way out. It's the Boss's fault for allowing this to happen. It's the Boss's fault for forcing us into hits we didn't want to take. It's the universe's fault for choosing us and to hell with it, all of it. We will figure this out, Riverdale, I promise you that." As he spoke, I heard a new sense of conviction and purpose in his voice as if he finally understood that no one blamed him for what happened to Cat. I doubt Cat even blamed him for what happened to her. Scratch that. I know Cat doesn't blame him for what happened to her.

I offered him a small grin as I nodded my head in agreement. "To hell with it."

As soon as that statement left my lips, David, who'd been staying with us to help me strategize, knocking on the doorframe, though the door was open, a proud look displayed across his face. "Boys, I've been thinking about all the ideas you three have been coming up with and I have a plan that'll get her out of there and then some." His words sounded promising, and despite his semi-shifty behavior and the weird vibes I got from him, I beckoned him in. We were desperate and he sounded confident."I'm listening."

"All ears." Mason and I said at the same time, causing David to waltz in before he stood in front of us and told us the plan and I had to admit that it was genius, combining all of the best parts of our individual plans while eliminating or tweaking the weak points. Man, it was a shame Liam was asleep.

***

Hey guys, I'm so sorry for missing so many updates, but for some reason, I keep getting really ill and it doesn't help that school's just started, but I promise that I'm doing the best I can. I hate missing updates as much as you guys hate not getting them. 

Anyway, what do you think David's plan is? What do you think of David as an overall person? Do you think it's anyone's fault (besides her mom's) that Cat got taken?  Let me know in the comments and also don't forget to vote and share this story because that would mean a lot to me. Finally, don't forget that I made an Instagram @ChicagoxDreams where you can follow me for updates and more. 

See you next week (if I don't get sick again).

Love y'all- Jordan

PS if there are any grammar mistakes please let me know. It's past 12 right now and I'm super tired so a word or two might've slipped past me while I was editing.

PPS Comment your favorite Vine (IDK if I've already asked you this already but if I have oh well). My favorite one ATM is either the one where there's a ton of umbrellas being blown all over the place and the guy tries to fix it by throwing another umbrella at the other umbrellas (does that even make sense) or the "Miss. Keshia" girl. Let me know yours. 

M'kay bye.