Your brows creased, "Do what?"

"Risk your life to save an...To save Connor."

You shrugged, "He saved mine.  Now the score's even."

"Well, if it's all the same to you..." He twisted in his chair, turning towards his terminal, "I'd prefer if you didn't add any more numbers to the scoreboard."

"Only if you keep your gun away from maniac androids."

"Oh, come on–"

An officer approached his desk, stealing his attention.  You were grateful for that.  Laughing had never hurt so much.  You didn't want to alarm him.

"Hey, you check out those new samples yet?" He passed Chris a data pad, "Looks like they're trying to make some new form of Red Ice."

Chris read the report word for word, his eyes scanning along the screen.

"We really need the forensics."  He returned it to the officer.

"Alright...I'll chase it up."

"Thanks."

The two of you watched him leave, and Chris turned his chin.

"Look, I know you've got a lot on your mind, but...I thought you might wanna hear this from me."

"Come on, you can't start a sentence like that."

"No body's dead, relax." A nervous smile graced him before he fell back into an anxious pit, "Just, ah...Well, Carl Manfred's android attacked his son last night.  The deviant was shot on site and sent to the scrap-"

"Is Carl okay?"

"...Yeah? He wasn't the one attacked-"

"You know he has heart problems.  Where is he?"

"Hey, breathe." Chris eased his hands, "Carl is fine.  Leo is, too."

"Fuck Leo.  He's been sucking in that shit on his father's dime for how long?"

Chris said your name, pursing his lips with a judging look.

"Okay, okay..."

He ran a hand down his face, "I could put you in contact with Carl, if you want."

You contemplated the idea.  You'd been friends, a long time ago.  Met him at a few galleries...his galleries, while you were just a trophy wife hanging on an arm.

"I don't think that would be appropriate.  Carl was his friend...We haven't spoken in years..."

"I...Alright.  I understand."

You rubbed the back of your neck, "Thanks, though.  I appreciate it."

"No problem..." He gave you an overly-enthusiastic thumbs up, "...Partner."

"Ugh..." You looked down at the coffee on your uniform.

"I should probably clean this up."

...

You were hunched over the sink, holding your stomach.  You'd been through this before, back in a minor fender-bender.  The way every stiff muscle protested against moving with fervor.  Popping pills to keep yourself at work.  People had warned you that you were pushing yourself too far, working yourself too hard, blah blah blah.

You lifted your chin, listening in to the TV that blasted a CTN report through its speakers.

"Several sources report that CyberLife has provided Detroit Police with a prototype detective android.  Although police-assistant androids have existed for several years now, this would be the first case of an android being authorized to play an active role in criminal investigations.  We contacted CyberLife for comment, but no one was available to answer our questions."