14

2/4 of the marathon :)

The next day I sat on the waiting room. Again my leg was shaking and I realized that was a new habit for me. A very annoying one but which somehow made me feel better.

"Miss Ámbar Smith!" I heard the employee call my name and I got up following her to Dr. Flores's office.
I walked inside and the tall brunette doctor extended me her hand.
"Hello, Ámbar! How nice to see you. How's your godmother?"
"Uhmm... She is away... on businesses..." I lied, not really knowing what to say.
"Oh, always an occupied lady, Miss Benson." She stated. Sharon had never been here with me so that's where the comment comes from.

She sat and pointed to the chair in front of her, which I take feeling more anxious than before.
"So tell me Ámbar, how are you? What brings you here? Any problems?" She asked, checking her file on me.
I took advantage of the fact that she wasn't looking at me to gain the confidence. "I... I am pregnant..." I confessed, making her instantly look at me.
"Pregnant? Did you do a test?"
I nodded. "Yes, one."
She gulped and then shook her head. "Okay. Uhm... First then I will make a blood test to confirm that's correct. Sometimes normal pregnancy tests give false positives and we have to confirm that's not the case. I will just get the kit, I will be back in a minute."

She got up and I instinctively took my hands to my belly. False positive? No that couldn't be... Being pregnant was a complete shock for me and I definitely wasn't ready for it but no, I couldn't not be pregnant. I couldn't lose my baby. Not that too...

She came back and tried to collect the blood but it wasn't being easy.
"Ámbar, you have to relax, honey. It will only be 5 minutes and we will know the result."
I tried to control my breathing and eventually relax and apparently it worked because in question of seconds she was back from handing the blood to a nurse.

Dr. Flores sat back in front of me.
"So while we wait for the results let me ask you a few questions. Okay?" I nodded in response. "So how old are you?"
"18." She wrote down the answer.
"And how long have you been sexually active?"
I bit my lip, confessing "It was my first time..."
She smiled sympathetically at me. "When was the last time you had your period?"
"55 days ago. I am always very regular. It always comes every 28 days."
She nodded again, writing everything that I said to her in a different piece of paper. From her face it seemed like it wasn't normal, so I thought that had to mean I was pregnant. Right?

"How have you been feeling lately? What do you feel as changed aside from not having your period?"
"Well, I have been feeling more tired than usual and therefore have been sleeping more hours too. I have felt dizzy and in the morning very sick, I cannot hold my breakfast most days. Oh and some smells annoy me when they never did before."
"Hum hum, okay... Well, Ámbar, given everything that you said it is more than likely that you are pregnant but I will get the result so we can confirm it."

Dr. Flores got up and disappeared, returning almost immediately with a piece of paper in her hands. She handed it to me.
"Ámbar that means you really are pregnant. I know you are young and it must be a shook for you but don't worry. The baby's father have you talked to him?"
I shook my head, still looking at the sheet with the word "positive" written in it with green letters.
"It's important that you do. This responsibility is of both of you. You both took you part and both parents of this child. It's decisive that he gets that from the beginning of the pregnancy so that it can go as smooth as possible. Have you told your godmother?"

Again I shook my head. "I haven't told anyone. She won't be around for a long while..."
"But you have other adults around?"
"Yes, I am living with my grandfather, my... cousin and her parents."
"Okay, it's also important that you tell someone let's say more mature. You are very young and this is of course a lot of responsibility. It will be good to have someone by your side supporting you."