Chapter 16

I woke up by a song being sung, sitting up I tried to concentrate on the lyrics. 'Happy birthday to you...' I suppressed a smile. It was my Mum. My door opened a creek and a had peeked through.

"Hi Mum." I said.

"Hey Birthday Girl!"

I rolled my eyes. "Birthday Girl?"

"The big Eighteen!"

"Don't remind me. Hey, are they mine?" I pointed at the cards and the big cake.

"Sure, honey."

I held my hand out for them and she passed them to me. I opened the first one, it was from her. It was a blue glittery one. It was neat. I smiled with appreciation.

"Thanks Mum! It's amazing!" I hugged her.

"Open the card, Anna."

"Oh, right." I opened it and money fell out. At least a thousand dollars. My mouth fell open.

"Mum! You shouldn't have!"

"Only the best, for my baby. Besides, money is nothing, we have loads! And you're eighteen, you only turn that once!"

"Thank you, Mum. Seriously, thank you!" I hugged her again. She smiled. Wiping tears from her eyes, she pulled back and pointed to the rest of the cards.

"Aren't you going to open the rest?"

"Sure I am!"

I grabbed the next one and opened it. I realised that it was from the guys. It read 'HAPPY EIGHTEENTH!" I grinned. I flipped the card open and read inside. I laughed at the end. They were right, today was going to be big. I placed it with the others.

"No present?" My Mum frowned.

"They probably want to give it me, personally."

"Ah, alright." She let it go.

I opened the rest of my cards, they were all from family. I turned to the cake.

"It's really pretty, Mum!" I blew the eighteen candles out. "I could get used to this!"

She laughed. "Well, get ready. You've got school."

"Will do."

She left me to get ready. I looked to my bed and realised there was one card still not opened. I frowned and picked it up. I didn't recognize the writing; I opened the envelope and took the card out. It was from Tyler. My hands shook as I read it. At the end was an 'I love you forever.' with kisses. One word stuck out. Forever. He did love me. Happiness filled up inside me. I got into my school uniform and bounded down the stairs. I picked up my bag and skipped into the kitchen. My mum was already there, with a Granola bar in her hand.

"I know that's all you eat in morning, so here." She handed me it.

"Thanks!" I flashed a grin.

She blinked and returned the smile. "You're happy today."

I shrugged. "I'm officially eighteen! Today's going to be good!"

"Don't forget you're working tonight."

"I'm not likely to forget." I looked at the clock. "Got to go! I'll see you after work! Bye!" I rushed out of the door and let it swing shut behind me. I ran to my car and got in. Jamming the keys into the ignition, I grabbed my phone and went to my last called number. Pogue wasn't answering. I frowned and tried Caleb, and again, no answer. The same with Reid and Tyler. I shrugged and pulled out of the drive. I'd see them in school; they said they'd be in. I hit the gas, driving as fast as I could. I didn't bother putting the radio on, I just drove in silence. Driving into the gates wasn't as easy at it usually was. Two cars had jammed themselves into the corners of the gates. I gritted my teeth and carefully tried to get in, without scratching them. I thought about it though, just a few scratches on the paintwork. It'd remind them not to park there again. But no, totally unnecessary. I reversed into a space, turned the engine off and climbed out. I shut the door, locked it and hurried up the steps to the Academy. I was about to go through the doors when someone shouted from behind me.

"HEY BIRTHDAY GIRL!"

I turned around ready to shut the person who had just shouted that up. It was Reid. I blinked and smiled, slowly. Oh I was going to make him pay for shouting that. I thought he was alone until someone came from behind him. It was Tyler. The smile I loved broke out on his face. They walked the stairs two at a time and followed me through the doors. Reid and Tyler dutifully took my sides as we made our way to our form room. Tyler took my hand and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"So, what did you get?" Reid asked.

"Money." I replied.

"That it?"

"Cards. Oh, thanks for the card!"

"No problem."

Tyler turned to me. "Did you get my card?"

"Of course I did. It was beautiful, thank you." He smiled again and gave my fingers a squeeze. I squeezed his back.

"Caleb and Pogue should already be in Form." Reid said, as we walked into the classroom. I pulled back slightly, and so did Tyler.

"What's up?" He asked.

"I want to speak to you." I said.

"Well?"

"Are you okay?" I whispered.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" He whispered back.

"Yesterday?"

"Oh, that. I want to apologize about that. I was maybe a little too hard on you."

"It's fine." I waved my hand, as if to brush something away from me. "It's in the past."

"Are you sure?"

I placed my hands on either side of his face. "Yes."

He sighed at the touch of my hands against his face. I seized this chance to kiss him. I brushed my lips against his.

"Behave. It's my birthday. I'm on work later, and then I ascend."

He took my hand. "Yeah, I know. Before we go in, I've got something for you."

"A present? You shouldn't have!"

He grinned. "Yeah, well I did. Suck it up."

I smacked his hand playfully.

"Turn around and close your eyes." He instructed. I did as he said and waited. I felt something light touch my neck. After a few seconds he told me to open my eyes. I looked down and saw a necklace. It was beautiful. It read my name, in diamonds. I turned to him, tears in my eyes.

"It's beautiful!" I said, tears travelling down my face. "Thank you!"

"Why are you crying?" He said, incredulously.

"Because it's the best present, anybody has ever given me!"

"It's nothing, it's didn't cost-"

"Don't you dare say it didn't cost much! Or that it's nothing! It's amazing! Thank you!" I hugged him hard and pressed my lips to his cheek.

"Okay! We'd better go in. I can see our Form Tutor coming down the hall."