Chapter 12

I was woken by my phone beeping. Wiping the sleep out of my eyes I made a grab for it. I missed and fell out of bed with a thud. My eyes watering with pain, I struggled to get up. My phone was still beeping as I picked it up. I looked at the Caller I.D, it read 'Reid', rubbing the water away from my eyes, I answered.

"Hello?" I flinched at the sound of my voice.

"God, you sound like hell." Came the reply.

"Ugh. Brilliant."

"Did you get any sleep, last night?" He asked.

"The weird thing is, yeah I did. I slept like a baby."

"O...Kay?"

"What did you want anyway?" I asked.

"Wanted to make sure you were up."

"I'm up." I answered.

"I can hear that. See you at school."

The phone had already gone dead by the time I answered.

"Bye." I muttered into the dead handset. I quickly got into my uniform and headed downstairs. I looked at the clock, and nearly dropped my stuff. It was quarter past eight! Crap! I thought. I was late! Not bothering to grab any breakfast I shot out the door, and jumped into my car. I started the engine and hit the gas. Luckily I managed to make it to school on time; the last thing I wanted was a visit from Provost Higgins. Caleb, Reid, Tyler and Pogue weren't waiting for me as they usually did. I didn't think anything of it, I was late. Maybe they thought I wasn't coming in? I made my way to registration, as I walked in I heard a shout.

"Anna!" I knew the voice well. Tyler. I looked up at him. A smile broke out on my face. I hurried up to my seat. As I sat down Tyler gave me a hug and a quick kiss.

"I thought you weren't coming in today! I couldn't find you anywhere!" He said, cheerfully.

"Yeah, sorry, I over slept."

He couldn't come back with a reply because our form teacher had just walked in. As she read each name out and waited for a reply, I pulled a piece of paper out of my pad and wrote a quick note.

Caleb,

I need to speak with you all after Registration. Wait for me outside. It's very important.

I slipped the note across the table to him. I watched as he read it, confusion was all over his face. He looked at me and wrote a note back.

What's going on? What's important? We'll wait for you, sure. But I need to know, what's important? Is it bad?

He pushed the paper back to me and I read what he'd put. I picked my pen up and wrote something quickly.

I'll tell you outside. It's something that I can't explain just over a note. It's important, yes.

Passing the note back, I put my pad and pen away. I looked at Caleb as he read. His eyes met mine and he nodded. Thanks. I mouthed. Registration ended pretty early, and as promised, Caleb waited with the others. I walked out the door and motioned them to follow me, we had English, so it was fine, and we were in the same class.

"Right, spill." Caleb said.

"In exactly two days, I'm eighteen." I shuddered slightly.

Tyler came to my side and took my hand. Caleb looked at me.

"Eighteen?" He repeated, dazed.

"Yeah, I'm going to ascend. And I'm scared."

Tyler squeezed my hand.

"We'll help you through it." He promised. I nodded.

"It's different though. The way I ascend, it takes longer than what yours does." I explained.

"What're you doing then?" Pogue asked.

"My mum's going to phone up and give an excuse. I'll ascend at exactly eleven o'clock at night."

"That's probably a good idea. You wouldn't be able to cope with a full day of school." Tyler said.

"We'll be there when you ascend. We won't let you go through it alone." Caleb promised.

I smiled. "You're all sweet, but you know that you can't be in the room when I do. It'd be very, very dangerous."

I couldn't concentrate with English; my mind was all over the place. I was brought back to Earth with a sharp prod. I turned to Pogue.

What? I mouthed.

Nikki's tonight? He mouthed back.

You said that last time, and we never went.

We're definitely going this time.

Yeah, fine. I'm going to be with Ty anyway, he can give me a lift.

"You two are getting pretty close, aren't you?" Pogue murmured.

"We are going out, Pogue." I reminded him.

"Yeah, we all figured that out." He laughed, blushing I turned away from him.

"We're going to Nikki's tonight." Tyler whispered.

"I know. Pogue's just told me." I whispered back.

"Want a ride?"

"You'll be with me anyway! So yeah, I'd love a ride!"

Lesson ended and we all went for lunch. Tyler and I got a few stares off passing people, because we were holding hands. I waved, and they turned away. I was looking forward to Nikki's; I'd be able to check out the local places, and the people. Dinner went fast, we talked about the bar and I'd asked if there were any jobs going in the local area. I needed a job, I needed money, bad. The day went too quickly and before I knew it, I was being walked to my car. Caleb, Reid and Pogue were already in their cars and leaving. Tyler gave me a hug and a kiss and promised to be right behind me in his hummer. I got in and pulled out of my spot, I drove off and as I looked through my wing mirror, I saw his hummer right behind me. My phone buzzed. I picked it up, it was a text message. I read it and shook my head, looking at Tyler through my mirror. I saw him grin. I see you! xxxx. It read. I quickly texted back a reply, Yeah, I see you too. Coming up to the house now. Xxxx I tossed the phone onto the passenger seat and made a right turn, closely followed by Tyler. I pulled up in front of the house and jumped out.