[ 8 ]

T H E W O L F ' S L A M B

C H A P T E R E I G H T

-

A D A Y H A D passed by since the electrifying kiss. His lips tainted my own with a passion that could not be satisfied. His eyes burned with lust and desire-I'd never seen such an intense look before.

My heart swelled at the thought of Felix Wolfe. I felt a way that I'd never felt before and it caused this beaming smile to stretch across my lips. I wanted to feel his lips on my own once again and the thought had my cheeks flourishing with a deep crimson red.

Unaware of the questioning gaze which adorned my mother's eyes, I blinked a few times and shook my brown curls, bringing myself back to reality. "What's got you all day-dreamy?" My mother asked, tipping back her freshly made cappuccino. Humming in satisfaction of the delightful taste, she placed the cup down and leaned back.

"I'm waiting, darling." She lifted a brow as I chewed on my bottom lip: a habit which I acquired from a very young age when I was nervous, it was a habit that I still hadn't quite managed to shake. Tipping my mug of steaming coffee back, I shook my head. "It's nothing, I'm just in a bit of a-daze? Anyways, it's just this client. My brains all jumbled up about the-task?" I myself sounded unsure because truth be told, everything happened within a blink of an eye and Felix had left me in a big, hazy daze.

"This client..." My mother began with narrowed eyes. "Is this the client you had a scheduled meeting with yesterday?" Unable to speak for I was sure I was going to let the cat out the bag,
I nodded.

She hummed in reply as a grin stretched across her lips. "Well then he's not just a client then, is he?" Unable to form a proper sentence, I stuttered with all the existing vowels until eventually, I sucked in a deep breath and spoke.

"Why do you say that?" I said, gesturing to my mother's cryptic words that had me nervous as heck. I bet she saw right through me and knew exactly what was going. I'd truly hoped not. "Because of that look in your eyes, my darling." I didn't understand what she meant.

"I've seen that look before-hell, it's the same look I wore the moment I met your father. You're smitten." Her words had a true and deep meaning and I found it hard to believe them. What my mother and father had was an amazing love story. Love. This was hardly love!

I'd never even had a proper crush on a boy and here my mother was comparing the look in my eyes to the very one that was in hers once upon a time.

Felix had established that I belonged to him and I believed it truly, but love? This was just the very beginning! I only ever knew of the love for my family and nothing more than that. It was too early for love. First I needed to understand what it felt like and I was nowhere near that stage.

I sighed dreamingly at the thought of him and then reimagined the moment he placed his hand dangerously low on my hip and then kissed me like there was no tomorrow. I did believe one thing though. I definitely was smitten. But being enamoured with someone and loving them were two completely different concepts!

I was ready for one but certainly not the other. I was so young and innocent and I lived a sheltered life. Love was mission impossible for me. "Am I right?" My mother's grin widened even more.

Gulping down a lump in my throat, I shifted my eyes away from hers. "I-..." Silence enveloped the two of us. I was thankful for the surrounding sounds that buzzed in the quaint cafe around us for the silence would be terribly awkward.

Then my mother jumped in her seat and clasped her hands together with a smile that was so big it resembled the Cheshire Cat. "Oh my goodness, the young man at the club! It's him isn't it! I'm right, amn't I!" With widened eyes, I jumped at her sudden outburst, processing immediately how my mother had put two and two together and figured it all out.

Sighing softly, I wrapped my fingers around the circumference of the mug and chewed on my bottom lip. "Yes." I whispered and my mother's smile grew even bigger. "If it's meant to be, it will be." I repeated her words from our last coffee date and watched as she tilted her head to the side and nodded with a swift movement. "On my way back to the office, the whole floor was silent. I was so confused but carried on to get to my office anyway and then Andrew was in a complete muddle! He told me that a client had just barged into my office a half hour earlier, so I calmed him down and prepared to meet the client." I sucked in a breath at the memory. "It was him." A soft smile pushed its way onto my lips as I remembered the way my chest tightened at the sight of him.

"Oh, mom." I shook my head. "I've been all the over the place! My head is filled with a million and one different thoughts and neither of them make sense! You know how sheltered my life has been and to have a man like that barge into it and turn it around a whole three-sixty degrees is crazy! Last night...we kissed and I've never felt so strongly about something, ever." Once I'd finished catching my mother up, I stared into her eyes, awaiting for her outburst, but when it didn't come, I became confused.

"Oh, darling." She sighed, the warmth in her eyes increasing. The sight had calmed me down instantly, as if I'd slipped into a relaxing bubble bath and closed my eyes to enjoy the peace and tranquility. "There isn't anything wrong with what's happening and don't you even think of doing what I had done." She began. If anything, I was even more puzzled, so she elaborated.

"When I met your father, I was as stubborn as they came." She huffed. "I pushed him away because the last thing I wanted was to succumb to those tingly feelings within and believe me doll, delay is the deadliest form of denial. If I hadn't been so damn stubborn, I could've avoided so much pain. In order for me to get my happy ending, I had to push that stubbornness aside. Moral of the story, don't be a prisoner to things you can't change." My mother's words rang through my head constantly till I finally was able to grasp everything she had said.

With a lovingly gently smile, I nodded and stored her words away into the top shelf of my mind. I'd never forget them for they would surely come in handy. I had to let life flow the way it wanted and if this was the flow I was to be taken along with, then so be it. I was so ready.

---