THIRTEEN: A Whole New World - Pt. 1

Despite everything that had happened over the past few days, I woke up on Wednesday with a warm feeling in my gut

We had lost a day and yet it didn't matter. Something about the air felt right. I could feel it, but more importantly, Lana could feel it, and I trusted her instinct more since she was a supernatural being.

"He's going to ask today," Lana said as we bounced along on the school bus. "Oh my demon, I can feel it."

"I feel it too," I said. "When do you think he'll do it?"

"The break after first period is too rushed, so I'm thinking lunch." Lana smoothed her hands on her skirt. She was dressed to the nines today, with her nails painted and her shoes shined. "Do you mind skipping lunch again today? I need an excuse to sit at his table."

"Already ahead of you: I asked Taylor if I could join her in the art studio and she said yes."

"Perfect." As we pulled up into the parking lot, Lana stood up from her seat and flashed me a smile. "Show time."

The first half of the day went by fairly uneventfully, although I did catch Billy and Lana chatting a bit during homeroom. He laughed at one of her jokes, and when he turned back to his desk, Lana sent me a reassuring nod.

At lunch, we parted ways, although not before I squeezed her hand and said, "Good luck. You got this!"

She crossed her fingers and disappeared among the throng of students.

I brought a Tupperware of fresh cookies to the art studio, and Taylor and I munched on them as we chatted and painted. I realized how much I had missed Taylor these past few weeks. Lana had been sucking up my time as much as Clarissa had been sucking up hers, and I missed being around her infectious smile and her quirky style and her no-nonsense attitude. And, for the first time, I was really getting excited for the dance on Friday. Not just because the deal would finally be over, but because I would get to tear up the dance floor with my best friend.

In two days, life would finally be back to normal, and I could not wait.

When the bell rang, Taylor and I took our sweet time walking to English class. I wanted to give Lana as much alone time with Billy as possible, even if that meant I was a few minutes late to English. When I finally walked into the classroom, I saw Lana sitting in her seat, tapping her thumbs together.

Did he ask? I mouthed as the teacher began her lesson.

She shook her head, but Lana didn't look upset. Instead, she had a determined set to her jaw.

"The table was super crowded," she explained in a hushed whisper. "So he couldn't ask me during lunch. It'd have been too awkward. And then he had a math test this period, so he had to run out right at the bell to get there on time. But I'm not worried... you've seen how he's been acting around me. I just need to intercept him when he leaves gym class this afternoon, so he has time to ask me before we all head to his house to work on our government project."