EIGHT: Crush - Pt. 1

When I walked into homeroom on Friday morning, Taylor grabbed my wrist so hard that I thought I was going to lose my circulation and then my hand to gangrene

"Ow," I said, yanking my arm back. "What is up with you?"

"Come talk with me in the hallway," she said, before scurrying out of the classroom.

I glanced over at Lana, who was staring at me in confusion. I had originally planned to use the first few minutes before class started to coax Billy and Lana into a conversation, but clearly that was going to have to wait. "Sorry," I murmured, before following Taylor into the hall.

"You look like you're about to explode," I said. "What's going on?"

Taylor ignored my question. "So you know how you're playing matchmaker for Lana and Billy?"

"Yes," I said, lowering my voice. "But this is a secret, so don't shout it out to everyone."

Taylor's eyes glinted. "So like... do you want to help me with my love life too?"

I paused. "Wait... what?"

Now Taylor was the one who lowered her voice, and her words came out so fast that I almost didn't catch everything. "The girl on the art forum, Clarissa... we kept talking, even after the whole thing with my mom. And she was just being really sweet and flirty so... last night I asked her out to coffee and she said yes."

My jaw dropped. "Oh my God, Taylor. Seriously? That is amazing."

She nodded. "I just decided: screw my mom, this is my life. And I'm going on this date whether she wants me to or not. So... it's happening. Tomorrow morning." She shook her hands, as if they had fallen asleep. "I'm so nervous. But like... it should be fine, right? She's been nice to me so far online, and really cool, so why should she be any different in real life? And we friended each other on Facebook so I know what she looks like so it's not like that will be a surprise... and Jessa, she is hot."

She glanced around to make sure there were no teachers in sight, and then pulled up Facebook on her phone and typed "Clarissa Lowry." She flashed me the picture, and I whistled beneath my breath. "Wow," I said. The girl staring back at me had natural fiery red hair that flowed in these thick, beautiful curls. Her cheeks were speckled with a light spattering of freckles. And she had these pale blue eyes that seemed to look right through you. "She's gorgeous."

"I know." Taylor slid her phone away and then looked me straight in the eye. "So do I have your permission to spill everything to you afterwards? Because I think I'll probably be having a panic attack and psychoanalyzing every thing I said."

I laughed. "Of course. Just stop by after the date. I'm not doing anything..." I trailed off, making a connection. "Wait, tomorrow? I'm actually going to the lacrosse game with Lana in the afternoon. It's kind of a part of my setting her up with Billy plan."