Chapter Fourteen

~flashback~

"Another one." The Lieutenant ordered from the bartender. His vision was already blurred from the last eight shots. He knew he shouldn't have another but he didn't care. It had been a year since the demonstration, and things had been hectic. Citizens were starting to come back from the evacuation, and they were still so scared, so unsure.

He didn't feel like dealing with that though. He didn't feel like dealing with anything at the moment. He was feeling things that he didn't want to feel about a certain android, something foreign to him.

Connor.

The android he was supposed to hate. The android he grew to care about. The things he was feeling were strange. He didn't want to admit it to himself but he was starting to develop a crush on the brunette.

It was more than a crush, really. This feeling made him go so far as to letting him stay with him until things surrounding androids calmed down, whenever that would be. If he was being honest with himself, he didn't want Connor to go.

Hank took the next shot with no hesitation, the liquid burning his throat, a pain he always welcomed. Before he could request another, the door opened, the bell from above it ringing in his ears past the dull music.

Connor didn't have to scan the area to see Hank sitting at the bar as soon as he walked in. He knew the older man's face by then. He'd found the time to study each detail, every worry line and every gray hair, to the blue in his eyes. He liked looking at Hank's face, even if he didn't understand why.

"Lieutenant Anderson." Connor greeted him as he sat down beside him. Connor looked up at the bartender who looked extremely uncomfortable with him being there. The android simply smiled up at him before turning his attention to his partner.

"Wha.. what are you doin' here?" Hank asked, his voice slurred. He slowly began to look at Connor, which was a mistake, he decided. He wanted to kiss him. He wanted to pull him down by his tie and kiss that pretty mouth-god, he should never be drunk around Connor again.

"We have to work in the morning, Hank. You're going to have a terrible headache." The truth was that Connor was worried about the greyed man. He wanted Hank to be at home with him, safe and preferably sober.

"You.. you're worried about me." Hank whispered with a smirk on his face. It made Connor feel odd inside.

"Oh, well.. of course I am, Hank." Connor's voice was so soft. Hank remembered when he made fun of it before. He believed he said something along the lines of 'goofy.' That had been far from the truth though. Suddenly Hank needed another drink.

"I think you may have had enough." Connor had said before Hank had the chance to speak. "Take a walk with me. Please."

Hank did like the way Connor said that word. Please. He shook his head after that thought, he shouldn't be thinking that way. Not about him. Eventually, Hank nodded, and struggled to get himself off of the stool.

Connor wrapped his arm around his waist and helped him out the door, making sure he didn't fall flat on his face, the very face Connor liked so much. The lieutenant barely noticed the cold night air against his skin, the thumping in his chest distracting him from the world around him. That and his vision was still so blurry. His knees began to buckle until one finally hit the sidewalk.

Connor frowned as he studied the drunken version of the man he grew to care so much about. Gently, he brought Hank up on his back and had him wrap his arms around his neck.

"No-no! Jus.. just leave me here. Such a mess-just leave me." Hank kept mumbling into Connor's neck as he walked. After a while Hank stopped his begging and just rested his head against Connor's. He vaguely wondered how he was able to carry his weight, but just told himself it was just an android thing.