Chapter Ten

"I think you know why you're here right now, Anderson."

The Captain's sigh echoed through the glass room. Hank leaned back in the chair with his arms crossed over his chest. He had no regrets, even as his boss scrubbed at his own stressed features.

"I get it. You both have worked together nearly a decade. And since then you two have formed a romantic relationship, and believe me we at the station know all about that. But I asked you two specifically not to come in because of those your proximity to this case. I know you, Anderson. You've always let your anger get the best of you.. but this time was different." The captain paused to study the lieutenant, "you wanted to kill them."

"But I didn't." Hank clarified, barely looking up Captain Fowler. Another sigh was heard and a ruffling of papers.

"They aren't going to press charges but I'm being pushed by the DA to take action."

"Are you firing me?" Hank asked with a scoff, "they are rapists, Jeffery. And murderers. They have already hurt multiple androids, I read their damn file, they admitted to every single god damn crime! And you're telling me that I'm getting fired for being the only one doing something about it?"

"Calm down, Anderson. You're not being fired, just.. put on suspension. For now." Jeffery pinched the bridge of his nose before continuing, "all this shit is just tiresome. We have laws in place now for a reason, to be able to protect androids. But people who are in a higher position than us are just making it hard on us to actually do that."

"Speaking of which," the Captain continued, "I got an anonymous tip that there's going to be a protest at city hall."

Hank stiffened for a moment and then relaxed, playing it off like he didn't know anything about it. But in reality, Connor had mentioned it and Hank was all for it.

"I know how tempting it must sound but all I'm asking is for you two not to go. For now I'm just trying to keep us out of this." The Captain went on to say, and Hank resisted the urge to call him a big fat hypocrite.

"Yeah, sure, whatever. Is this the part where I turn in my badge and gun? I'm ready to get home."  To Connor, he added in his head.

~*~

When Connor ran out of Dr. Robin's office, he didn't go home. He was too ashamed of himself to face Hank. So he just ran and found himself at the park where he told Hank he'd be anything he wanted him to be.

He hadn't seen anyone there so he just sat down on the bench, and finally just let his tears fall. He felt so weak and fragile, he didn't used to be that way, he thought. He didn't used to be so.. useless.

"Hello.. are you alright?" A small voice brought him out of his thoughts, as he looked down at a small android child. Her hair was a whole bunch of bouncy dark brown curls that cascaded over her back, her eyes gentle and brown as she looked up with a thoughtful stare.

"Uh.. yeah. I'm fine." Connor forced a smile before looking around the park. "Where are your parents?" He asked in his detective voice, trying to hide the fact he'd just been crying.

"My mommy says that when bad things happen, it's okay to cry about it. My other mommy says that it's also good to talk to someone." The child with her golden brown skin jumped beside him on the bench.

"Well.. your mommies seem to be very smart. But what I'm going through, it's a little more difficult than that." Connor let slip, wishing he hadn't. There was no way he was going to explain that to a child.

"Did someone hurt you? My mom, when she was little, her uncle hurt her but no one did anything about it. It's why my mommies are going to that protest thingy. Are you gonna go?" She tilted her head to the side, as if she didn't share something extremely personal about one of her parents. Connor took another look around and found nothing, so he turned back to her with a sigh.