Chapter One

Hank Anderson's house was quiet. The only thing he could hear was the oxygen mask he would have to wear and the heart monitor tracking his heart beat.

Hank was in his eighties. He didn't take care of his body and the only thing he could do was lay in this bed. It was depressing. The only thing that kept him sane was his best friend, Connor. An android.

He craved his presence. He knew it wasn't just because he didn't want to be alone. Oh no, he felt much more for the android. Looking at the clock, he realized that Connor would be in his room in the next few minutes to give him his breakfast.

Something felt, off, about that day. He didn't feel right. He never felt good, but today was different. Hank knew exactly what was coming and he had to see his friend right then.

"Connor!"

Barely a second later the door sprung open, Connor's eyes wide with concern as he stood over Hank.

After the peaceful demonstration all those years ago, Connor realized he had nowhere to go. Begrudgingly, Hank let him stay with him. It was only supposed to be for a few weeks, two months at most. But for about three years the new android laws kept being pushed back so Connor had no choice.

That was probably where he got fucked up, Hank decided. He hadn't been that close to another person since his son passed away. He didn't know he could care that much about someone again. Slowly, he began to fall in love with the way Connor would smile, the way he would beam when he would feel emotions. It was a beautiful sight and Hank was captivated by him.

But, Hank never said a word. He kept those feelings to himself. He believed Connor would find a pretty girl, android or human, and fall in love and start his own life.

That never happened though as Connor made the choice to stay. When Hank had to retire from the police department because of his age, Connor quit to take care of him, not without many complains from Hank though.

"Are you okay?" Connor asked, concern laced in his still young features. Hank looked up at him, eyes narrowed. Androids don't age. He still looked the exact same as he did decades ago. There was no way Connor could love an old man like Hank. Still, that wouldn't stop him from telling his truth before the end. He was beginning to feel dizzy.

Connor switched the mask to the tubes instead so Hank could speak comfortably. Hank licked his dry lips before asking Connor to sit down. He did as he was told, pulling the chair up close to the bed so he could look down at his old partner.

"Connor, you.." Hank had never been good at talking about his emotions. He had to get over that quickly because he was beginning to feel breathless.

"You.. you have taken such good care of me over the years." Hank started, looking at the sadness start to fill the android's eyes, though he tried to smile through it.

"And.. you know that this, I.. I won't be here long." It was already getting hard to breathe but he hid it well enough. Connor's brow furrowed and eyes shut tight. It was almost like a child. He didn't want to hear Hank talk about death.

"There is something I want-need-to tell you before that happens."

Connor's eyes opened, filled with curiosity and tears. Hank tried his best to give him a small smile, using all of his strength to move his hand to touch Connor's. The android hesitated for a short moment but returned the grip softly.

"You've brought a light into my life. You made me happy when no one else could." He felt ridiculous and cheesy, but that was honestly how he felt. He was too old at that point to bullshit his way out of it.