13. Save The 50s Dance

Start from the beginning

Damon nodded. "You asked before if Katherine was worth it," he said. "She is. If there's a way to get her back, I'm gonna do whatever it takes."

"I get that," Riley said. She'd never been in love, but she'd seen enough movies to know that Damon was definitely in love with the Katherine girl. "But right now, you have no way of finding her. And rather than try to get people on your side, you're biting people and alienating anyone who could possibly be your friend. Aren't you lonely?"

"I have friends," Damon dismissed. Riley raised her eyebrow at him. "I do! Stefan and Elena?"

"Your brother doesn't count as a friend," Riley told him. "Plus I'm pretty sure he wants you gone more than anyone else. But fine, you have Elena."

"And you?" Damon asked softly, raising an eyebrow back at her.

Riley sighed. "I'd call us acquaintances. But if you can go a month, or even a week without hurting one of my friends physically or emotionally... we'll see."

Out of the corner of her eye, Riley noticed Elena running from the gym in a frantic panic. She assumed her friend's hurried steps came from fear – but if she was in real trouble, Stefan would have been running alongside her.

"Hey, what do you know about the history teacher?" Damon asked, eyeing Ric Saltzman from behind her head.

"You know, you're the second person to ask me that today. If you want to know about him, go ask him."

She gave Damon a half-smile and left him on the dance floor, walking quickly to where she'd last seen Elena.

"Elena?" she called down the halls of their high school. As she walked, she heard a scream coming from the cafeteria that forced her feet to move faster. Looking through the door, she saw a man grabbing Elena's hair and pulling her down. Quickly she got her phone out and tried to call Stefan or Damon. However, the second her phone screen lit up, she was thrown into the cafeteria, crashing into a table.

"Two for the price of one," the guy said. "Lucky me."

"Stay away from us," Elena said, trying to sound menacing. But the shaking in her voice betrayed her. The man walked forward slowly, letting them know that he had all the power.

"Who's first?" he asked. "The girl who gets involved in someone else's business? Or the one who looks like Katherine?"

Riley held in her gasp. All this time, was Elena somehow connected to Katherine?

"I'll go first," Riley volunteered, standing up slowly. "Catch me."

She ran to the locked door at the back of the room, leaning against it for balance. When he vamp-ran towards her, she used her elbow to smash the vending machine next to her. Grabbing the biggest piece of glass she could, she stuck it into his stomach. He groaned, and Elena threw Riley a pencil. She jammed it into his cheek, causing him to cry out in pain. Elena spotted a broom on the ground. Snapping it with her knee, she jammed her hand forward, trying to stake him. However, he was too quick for her. He grabbed the piece of wood out of her hand, bared his vampire teeth, and tried to bite her.

But he was thrown away from the girls, across the room, by Stefan.

"Hey dickhead," Damon said, a stake in his hand. "Nobody wants to kill you. We just wanna talk."

He turned towards the girls, running at them again. Damon threw his stake to Stefan, who stuck it in the guy's stomach.

"Now you feel like talking?" Stefan asked. "What do you want with Elena?"

"She looks like Katherine," the guy said. Riley was still reeling from this piece of information, but this wasn't the time to ask about it.

Damon was also shocked to hear this from him. "Tell me how to get in the tomb."

The guy didn't respond, so Stefan dug the stake further into his stomach.

"The grimoire," the man said. "Check Johnathan Gilbert's journal."

"Who are you working with?" Riley asked curiously. It was obvious that the idiot who attacked a teenager at her high school dance wasn't working alone.

The guy seemed to have some kind of internal struggle, until he shook his head. "You're gonna have to kill me," he said determinedly, bracing himself.

Damon and Stefan looked at each other. Then Stefan took the stake out of the man's stomach, and stuck it in his heart, killing him.

"Wow," Riley said, adrenaline coursing through her veins. She wanted to ask about the tomb that Damon mentioned, but something told her that she'd find out soon enough.

"I know," Elena murmured, breathing heavily.

"You guys OK?" Stefan asked. They both nodded, not sure if they were being truthful.

"I'm gonna go home," Riley informed, walking towards the exit. "Tomorrow, I'll ask you why Elena looks like Katherine."

--------------------

Do you think Riley should be friends with Damon? Their interactions have been my favourite to write so far, and there will definitely be more of them in the next chapter!

I'd really appreciate it if you'd vote and comment, and thanks to everyone that already has, it means so much to me!