Sixteen - Part B

“Ishika is Vipul Gupta's daughter. She is adamant at buying this house so that she could investigate and raise suspicions at you, much like you destroyed her father's character with incoherent versions. Payal is orphanage director, Mr Singh's daughter. She got to know that her father was suffocated before he was left in the car to misinterpret as accident.”

Ankush and Chhaya exchanged glances. They were eager to know about Dhruv's involvement.

“Do you think Dhruv shot at your say? He shot to make you feel the pain of seeing your loved ones suffer. He knew Mr Agnihotri's arrest had no effect, so he brought it on himself. I'm glad that you are at least attached to your son. The unfortunate part is Dhruv only wants your end for killing his beloved Aunt.”

----

*A few hours ago*

Ayaan showed the video to Dhruv. It left him shaken to the core. He had never imagined his Mom could be such a cold blooded criminal.

“I know what you must be going through. Both of them, Mom and Aunt are close to us. One would kill the other - this is beyond my worst nightmare.” Ayaan said as he consoled his brother. “Dhruv, do you remember Dad asked you who would you choose? I will ask you the same. Who will you choose?Aunt or Mom?”

Dhruv contemplated the question for a while. Should he choose his mother just because of the relationship they shared? Should he choose Aakriti for the bond they shared as of aunt and nephew, of teacher and student and, most importantly, of friendship and confidence?

Ayaan understood his unspoken dilemma. “Someone told me, ‘Two trains leaving from the same platform might not reach the same destination’.  You are free to choose your side but once you choose, you must go where the circumstances take you.”

Dhruv stopped Ayaan, “Answer this. Who are you fighting for exactly? Aunt, Deepshika or Layana?”

“I am not. It's not my fight.” Ayaan left the balcony still thinking of the question he just answered. All he knew was wherever you started, it was definitely possible to get to your destination in spite of detours. His destination was right in front of him, scrolling through scanned documents and scribbling notes.

___

Ayaan placed a revolver, a knife and a lighter on the table between them. The revolver belonged to Raghav; the knife was found in Chhaya's room and the lighter was given by Payal. “I doubt anyone would have such an opportunity. You get to select the weapon of your death. The gas is left open. So all you have to do is open the lighter. I think you have plenty of practice for the other two.”

“Ayaan, how can you not feel anything for us? Forget Chhaya; I am your father. You can't leave me like this.” Ankush begged  holding Ayaan's feet.

Chhaya swung the knife, aiming at Ayaan's throat.

---

Ishika waited outside Aashayein. She wanted to go in but stopped herself at the entrance gate. The desperation to know the inside action made her pace around anxiously.

She saw Ayaan coming out of the house as if it was just another day. With his shades in place, it was difficult to see his expressions. “I have explained. Let's see what they decide,” he told the officers who were ready to take Chhaya into custody.

Soon, there was a gun shot from the house. The officers barged in to find both Chhaya and Ankush on the floor. A revolver was found in Ankush's hand while Chhaya's gripped the knife. The case was closed.

---

Ayaan went back in to find his mobile phone. When he retutned, Ishika hugged him, finally relieved of the secrets and doubts. She felt something solid at his back.

Before she could question, he answered, “The promise I made to you matters more than anyone's revenge.”

When Chhaya aimed at Ayaan, he ducked the attack and directed her wrist against Ankush's chest. That made Ankush release him. Ayaan found his revolver attached with the suppressor and shot Chhaya at point blank.

The gun shot was the message notification on Ayaan's phone.

###

And, I'm done. The Pursuit ends here!

Happy Independence Day 🇮🇳