Chapter 41- Childlike Faith

Hand in hand, she led Henry into the hospital room. Two nurses and a doctor stood over Colin blocking Georgia's view. When they moved toward the door, she saw his still form on the bed and struggled to hide her tears from the little boy who tightly held her hand.

"How is he, doctor?" Her voice was barely a whisper.

"He's not awake yet, but we are seeing definite progress. He is breathing on his own, and his color is coming back." The optimistic words buoyed her spirits, and she heaved a sigh of relief. "It's hard to say when he will wake up, but it shouldn't be too long."

"Thank you." Squeezing Henry's small hand, she led him to the side of the bed.

In the crook of his arm, he held a soft, stuffed monkey...Mr. Wigglesworth as he was affectionately named. "Your friend doesn't look like he feels very good, mommy."

"No, he doesn't, but we prayed for him, and God will take care of him."

"Yes, and Mr. Wigglesworth will help him feel all better." He gently placed his favorite toy on the bed next to Colin.

"I'm sure he will be a great help," Georgia smiled. She sat in the chair next to the bed, and Henry climbed up onto her lap.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Henry?"

"I think maybe we should pray for your friend again."

"That's a great idea."

"But I want to pray this time." He slipped off her lap and took his mother's hand in his right hand and held Colin's in his left. "Now close your eyes, mommy."

She smiled as she closed her eyes. There was a long pause, and she peeked under her lashes. Finding Henry making sure Colin's eyes were closed...which of course, they were...she held back a chuckle despite their dismal surroundings.

Finally satisfied that everything was as it should be, the little boy prayed his first prayer. "Dear God, please help mommy's friend. He is sick, and we want him to wake up soon. Please wake him up...don't let him stay asleep like daddy..." His words trailed off, and Georgia cracked her watery eyes open to find tears trickling down his cheeks.

She picked him up and wrapped him in her arms. Time was the only balm that would heal the gaping wound Henry sustained from losing his father. She held him with one arm and rocked him in the chair; her other hand found Colin's on the bed and squeezed it tight. How she wished he would wake up in answer to Henry's prayer.

At first, she was convinced her mind was playing tricks on her because she felt the faintest bit of pressure on her hand. Gasping, she sat forward in the chair. Henry turned his eyes to the man lying on the bed. "What is it, mommy? Is he waking up?"

"I'm not sure...maybe." Her breath caught in her throat as she felt the same light squeeze on her hand once more. Quickly she pressed the call light next to his bed to summon a nurse or doctor or any professional available.

A nurse rushed into the room and took her place next to the bed. "Is everything alright in here?"

"I think he might be waking up...he just squeezed my hand." Georgia was breathless with anticipation.

Checking his vitals, the nurse turned to her. "It's very possible...his heartbeat is strong, and everything looks as good as can be expected in his condition."

All eyes were on Colin as his eyelids slowly fluttered open. A sigh of relief and gratitude evacuated Georgia's lungs and tears of joys trailed down her cheeks.

"He's awake mommy! God heard me!" Henry threw his arms around her leg, and she knelt down to give him a hug.

"Yes, He did, and He answered your prayer."

Standing back to her feet and leaning over the bed, Georgia took his cold hand in both of hers. Tears glistened on her cheeks as she breathed a prayer of thanks.

"Georgia...hi." Colin's groggy voice was music to her ears.

"Hi, yourself," she managed to say around the lump in her throat.

"I prayed for you." Henry's little voice piped up.

"Thanks, buddy." His lips curved into a smile, and then he winced in pain taking a sharp breath in through his teeth. "You must be Henry."

"Uh huh...and that's Mr. Wigglesworth." He pointed to the stuffed animal on the bed.

"I see. Hello, Mr. Wigglesworth."

Henry's face broke into a wide grin. "He always helps me feel better, but you need him worse than me."

A sudden flurry of activity in the doorway drew Georgia's attention away from Colin and Henry. Dale and Maggie Beckner raced into the small room. Maggie quickly swooped to his bedside brushing Georgia away in the process.

"Oh, Colin! You're awake! Praise the Lord!" She grabbed his hand and patted it gently.

Knowing she possessed no claim on Colin, Georgia took her son's hand and led him quietly out of the room. Dale offered her a compassionate smile and followed her out. "You'll have to forgive Maggie. She's got tunnel vision when it comes to Colin, and I'm sure she didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome."

"She did nothing wrong. Of course, she wants to spend time with her son, and Colin needs her." Georgia smiled warmly at the kind man in front of her, trying not to show him how hurt she really felt.

"Well, I want you to know you are welcome to visit him anytime. I'll even try to convince Maggie to give you some time alone." Dale's eyes focused on Henry who was fidgeting beside her. "And who might you be, young man?" He sat back on his heels to be at eye level with the boy.

"I'm Henry. Who might you be?"

Dale chuckled at the boy's parroting of words. "I'm Dale. That's my son you and your mom were visiting."

"Oh...he's my mommy's friend, and I prayed and God woke him up!" Excitement shone in Henry's eyes.

Dale's eyes glazed with unshed tears. "Thank you for praying, Henry. I'm sure it made all the difference." Patting Henry tenderly on the shoulder, he turned to Georgia with a pleading look. "Please join us back in the room. I don't want to feel like we pushed you out."

"Please don't feel that way, but we really should be going. You both need to spend time with your son...we will come back later."

He nodded his head and returned to the room with his wife and son.

Georgia and Henry walked back out to the car and started off for home. Her heart couldn't contain the thankfulness she felt. Henry was home, and Colin would live. A surge of gratitude brought tears to her eyes; all of her prayers were being answered one by one. Now she just needed to pray that Maggie Beckner would like her, for that would take an act of God.