Chapter 25- Change of Plans

The clinking of metal against metal echoed through the small garage. David Traeger sat on a stool at the workbench tirelessly working on his new project. After observing the exchange between Beckner and Hannon, he knew his former plan to kill Georgia was all wrong. Killing her would be too easy...too quick. She certainly wouldn't suffer long from a bullet to the brain. No, killing Georgia would punish Colin Beckner more than it would Hannon herself, and punishing Beckner was not on his to-do list. If anything he felt bad Colin had to be involved at all, but there was no going back now.

When this epiphany struck, the wheels of his mind started turning; devising a new and more fitting plan to make Georgia pay for her actions. On the drive back to Virginia, the perfect scheme surfaced in his imagination. Unfortunately, Hannon would live, but her life would never be the same after he was finished with her.

Soon after arriving back home, he made the ten-minute drive to the storage complex to bring Henry and a few other children he was storing some supplies. It was very bad business to neglect the merchandise he sold. As usual, he spent extra time and attention on Henry. Something about the boy was different from the other children he dealt with throughout the years. He was bright and honestly, very endearing. It was no wonder his mother was so determined to get him back.

As he soldered a red wire to the electronic device on the table, he reflected on how his new arrangement would affect Henry. It was possible now the boy might live, and deep down he hoped that would be the case. Though both Georgia and Henry could identify him if they managed to survive, he wasn't too worried he would be apprehended. He already had a new identity and passport ready for his move to Switzerland, and he was sure he could run his business just as successfully long distance.

At this point, his only regret was due to the fact Colin Beckner would most likely wind up dead. For the sake of his brother, Conner, he wished things could be different. What choice did he have? His mission was to hurt Georgia in the most decided and permanent way possible, and the only way to accomplish the goal would be to hurt Colin. She loved Beckner; it was written all over her face. He sighed deeply as regret clubbed his conscience. "You should have stayed away, Beckner." He muttered as he shook his head.

Taking a deep breath, he attempted to silence the nagging voice inside telling him to let go of the hatred he harbored. He detested the weak, sniveling part of himself, the part constantly begging him to let go of the grudge he fiercely held for so many years. The internal plea for forgiveness grew louder until he could no longer stand it. Mashing his hands over his ears, he let out a low growl. "Stop it, just stop it! I'm doing this for you, you weakling!" His shout fell on no other ears except his own. To his utter relief, the voice inside his head fell silent. Breathing through his nose, he raised a trembling hand to brush beads of perspiration from his forehead.

As he finished the tedious work before him, a devious smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. Sitting back as far as he dared in the stool, he viewed his handiwork. Though the bomb was crude, it would get the job done. He was certainly no expert in the art of explosives, but thanks to the internet he discovered step-by-step instructions. Luckily, everything he needed he already had in his garage.

Only one left to make, and his plan would be ready to execute. His smile broadened as he mentally played out the carefully devised sequence of events that would deliver the vengeance his friend deserved. After all his comrade suffered at the hands of Georgia and her family, it was only fitting she should suffer in equal measure.

Leaving his tools on the workbench, Traeger stepped from the garage into the kitchen. After grabbing a glass of water, he moved to the living room and took a seat in the overstuffed recliner. The springs creaked as he lifted the foot rest and his lungs released a pent-up sigh. Yes, his plan was going to be perfect, and before too many days, Hannon would suffer the consequences for what she had done.