Bibliography

[A/N: I apologize for the irregularities in formatting. The references were pulled from footnotes and work cited pages of various papers written for different professors over the years. Some were MLA, some APA, and it's a bit of a mess. Also, I'm doing all this on an iPhone, so that made it more difficult. Hopefully this list provides enough information that you can look up the source material if you are so inclined.]

Adkin, Neil. Jerome on virginity: commentary on the Libellus de virginitate servanda (Letter 22). Cambridge : Francis Cairns, 2003.

Bitel, Lisa M. Women in Early Medieval Europe, 400-1100. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002.

Bonner, Campbell. "The Trial of Saint Eugenia," The American Journal of Philology. 41.3 (1920) 253-64.

Brooten, Bernadette J. Love Between Women: Early Christian Responses to Female Homoeroticism. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1996.

Brown, Peter. "The Notion of Virginity in the Early Church." Christian Spirituality, Vol. 1, 453-491

Brown, Peter. The Body and Society: Men, Women, and Sexual Renunciation in Early Christianity. New York: Columbia University Press, 1988.

Brubaker, Leslie and Julia M H Smith. Gender in the Early Medieval World: East and West, 300-900. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004.

Bullough, Vern L. and Bonnie Bullough, Cross Dressing, Sex, and Gender. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1993.

Bullough, Vern L. and James Brundage, eds. Sexual Practices and the Medieval Church. Buffalo: Prometheus Books, 1992.

Bynum, Caroline Walker, Steven Harrell, and Paula Richman, eds. Gender and Religion: On the Complexity of Symbols, Boston: Beacon Press, 1986.

Cameron, Averil. Christianity and the Rhetoric of Empire: the Development of Christian Discourse. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991.

Davis, Stephen J. The cult of St. Thecla. Oxford University Press, 2008.

Dean, Trevor ed., The Towns of Italy in the Later Middle Ages (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000)

Drabkin, I.E., ed and trans. Caelius Aurelianus, On Acute Diseases and On Chronic Diseases, Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1950.

Elm, Susanna. Virgins of God: the making of asceticism in late antiquity. New York: Oxford University Press, 1994.

Evans, Roger Steven. Sex and salvation: virginity as a soteriological paradigm in ancient Christianity. Lanham, MD : University Press of America, 2003.

Galatariotou, C. S. "Holy Women and Witches." BMGS 9 (1984-5)

Garber, Marjorie. Vested Interests; Cross-Dressing and Cultural Anxiety. New York: Routledge, 1992.

Giovanni Boccaccio, The Decameron, trans. G. H. McWilliam (New York: Penguin Books, 2003)

Gregory of Tours, The History of The Franks, trans. Lewis Thorpe (New York: Penguin, 1974)

Heid, Stefan. Celibacy in the early church: the beginnings of a discipline of obligatory continence for clerics in East and West. San Francisco, CA : Ignatius Press, 2000.

Heldis de Cornuälle, Le Roman de Silence, trans. Regina Psaki (New York: Garland, 1991)

Hoffman, Jen. "Every woman who will make herself male: genderqueer expression in the early Church." Thesis (M.A.) Union Theological Seminary, New York, 2004.

Hotchkiss, Valerie R. Clothes Make the Man; Female Cross Dressing in Medieval Europe. New York: Garland Publishing, 1991.

Joan of Arc, Saint, The Trial of Joan of Arc: Being the Verbatim Report of the Proceedings from the Orleans Manuscript, trans. W. S. Scott, (London: The Folio Society, 1956)

Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires, trans. Peter Green. New York: Penguin Books, 1998.

Karl Mentzius, A History of Theatrical Art, trans. Louise von Cossel (New York: Peter Smith, 1937)

Kazhdan, Alexander. "Byzantine Hagiography and Sex in the Fifth to Twelfth Centuries." Dumbarton Oaks Papers. 44 (1990) 131-143.

Keroloss, Heshmat Fawzy. Virginity in the Early Church The Meanings and Motives of Sexual Renunciation in the First Four Centuries. Thesis (Ph. D.) Fordham University, 1996.

Klingshirn, William E. and Mark Vessey, eds. The Limits of Ancient Christianity: Essays on Late Antique Thought and Culture in Honor of R.A. Markus. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press,
1999.

Kuefler, Mathew. The manly eunuch: masculinity, gender ambiguity, and Christian ideology in late antiquity. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2001

Laqueur, Thomas. Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1990).

Leyser, Conrad. Authority and asceticism from Augustine to Gregory the Great. New York : Oxford University Press, 2000.

Lucian, Selected Satires of Lucian, ed. and trans. Lionel Casson. Chicago: Adline Publishing Company, 1962.

McNeill, John Thomas, ed., Medieval Handbooks of Penance (New York: Octagon Books, 1965)

Montserrat, Dominic. Changing bodies, changing meanings: studies on the human body in antiquity. New York : Routledge, 1998

Moore, Stephen D. New Testament masculinities. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2003.

Ruth Mazo Karras and David Lorenzo Boyd, "Ut cum muliere: A Male Transvestite Prostitute in Fourteenth-Century London," Premodern Sexualities (1996) 101-116.

Saint Jerome, Commentarius in Epistolam ad Ephasios in Patrologia Latina, edited by J. P. Migne (Paris: Garnier, 1884), 16:567, quoted in and translated by Vern L. Bullough, "Transvestites in the Middle Ages," The American Journal of Sociology, 79 (1974) 1383.

Shaw, Teresa M. The burden of the flesh: fasting and sexuality in early Christianity. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1998.

Smith, Lucy Toulmin, trans. J. J. Jusserand, English Wayfaring life in the Middle Ages, trans. Lucy Toulmin Smith (New York: Barnes and Noble, 1950), 177-218.

Sullivan, Karen. The Interrogation of Joan of Arc (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1999).

Susan Schibanoff, "True Lies: Transvestism and Idolatry in the Trial of Joan of Arc," in Fresh Verdicts on Joan of Arc, eds. Bonnie Wheeler and Charles T. Wood (New York: Garland, 1996) 31-60

Talbot, Alice-Mary, ed. Holy Women of Byzantium: Ten Saints Lives in English. Washington, DC: Dumbarton Oaks, 1996.

Thomas, J. W., trans. Introduction to Ulrich von Liechtenstein, Service of Ladies. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 1969.

Tinsley, Barbara Sher. "Pope Joan Polemic in Early Modern France: The Use and Disabuse of Myth," Sixteenth Century Journal 18 (1987): 381-398.

Wiesner, Merry E. Christianity and sexuality in the early modern world: regulating desire, reforming practice. New York : Routledge, 2000.