Chapter 8: Pope Joan (9th Century)

In the Middle Ages people thought that women had a more difficult time controlling their sexual urges than men did because they did not possess the same level of self control. As mentioned in Chapter 4, people used to think that women had essentially the same body as men, only assembled in an inferior fashion. Because of this belief, it was assumed that their sex drive was just as high as men's, but their ability to control themselves was less. This misconception is why an AFAB person successfully passing as a chaste male was considered so miraculous. This misconception also explains the basis of the myth of Pope Joan.

Several thirteenth and fourteenth century chroniclers recorded the story of a woman named Joan who ruled the church under the name of Pope John Anglicus (Hotchkiss 70-71).  Her existence was not questioned until the late sixteenth century.

The legend of Pope Joan begins with her cross-dressing as a man in order to enter the same university as her lover.  Her lover dies, yet Joan continues with her studies and actually gains a great deal of respect from her peers for her intellect, and eventually she becomes a professor at the university in Rome.  She gains such a strong reputation that after the death of Leo IV (847-855) she is elected pope. 

Unfortunately, so the story goes, Joan cannot control her sexual urges, and she falls in love with a monk who reminds her of her deceased lover.  She finds herself pregnant, and actually gives birth to a son while on a papal procession (Hotchkiss, 70-71). 

While her intellect may have been equal to a man's, and her merits good enough to grant election to the highest office in Christiandom, Joan's overwhelming sexual desire, and lack of self-control brought around her downfall.

One historian argues that the legend of Pope Joan was actually used by Protestants during the reformation as a tool to embarrass the monasteries and discredit Roman Catholicism (Tinsley 381-398).

While the story of Pope Joan is considered a legend, it still reveals medieval attitudes towards female self-control. 

...

Author's Note:

Were there any facts that you learned and found interesting?

Was there anything in this chapter that you found confusing? Or do you have any followup questions?

Thanks,
- Brian