Chapter 2: Iphis and Ianthe (1st Century, Roman)

Literature written during ancient and medieval times can help transport us hundreds and thousands of years into the past. This is as true for nonfiction texts, when the author was purposefully trying to record accurate information, as it is for fictional stories.

Fictional stories can help paint a more complete picture of what life was like long ago.  This is because fictional worlds are based on reality.  Even fantasy stories can reveal details about the author's culture. These details can be small: What food was eaten? How did people dress? Or, these details may be more broad: How did people speak to each other? What were acceptable activities for people of different backgrounds to participate in?

Keeping this in mind, it is interesting to note that there were many stories of gender inversion and sex changes in Roman literature. One of the more influential and best know of these stories is the simple and sweet tale of Iphis and Ianthe, which is recounted in Ovid's 1st century work, the Metamorphosis. 

The story begins with a woman named Telethusa discovering that she is pregnant. But instead of sharing in her joy, her husband, Ligdus, laments that because they are so poor, they will not be able to provide a dowry if the child is a girl. He concludes that he only wants a son, and declares that if the child is born female he will dispose of her body.

This, of course, causes Telethusa much distress.  One sleepless night she is visited by the goddess Isis. The goddess promises the expecting mother assistance in protecting the child once it is born.

Soon after this visit Telethusa goes into labor and gives birth to a baby girl. Heeding the goddess's advice, she decides to save her daughter's life by deceiving her husband and raising the child as a boy. The child is named Iphis, after Lidgus's father.

The baby grows up as a happy child, but is painfully aware of having a mismatched sex and gender. When Iphis becomes older, Lidgus arranges a betrothol to a neighbor-girl, Ianthe. The two soon fall deeply in love.

Iphis is distraught by these circumstances, and not knowing what else to do, prays to the goddess Isis for help. True to her promise to Telethusa, Isis intervenes. On the day of Iphis's wedding to Ianthe, the cross-dressed youth is miraculously transformed into a young man.

The neighbor-girl and her father never discover the truth and everyone lives happily ever after.

The themes found in this tale are repeated in later stories. In fact, this narrative outline was repeated in several medieval fictional tales, although with a Christian contextual twist. A few examples are: Heldris de Cornuälle's Le Roman de Silence, written during the late 1200s, the poem Ovide Moralisé written in 1340, and 14th century Tristan de Nanteuil and Yde et Olive.

...

Author's Note:

Were there any facts that you learned and found interesting?

Was there anything in this chapter that you found confusing? Or do you have any followup questions?

Thanks,
- Brian