Chapter Twenty-four - Lose You

Start from the beginning

'Jude,' I began, as calmly as I could, which in truth, wasn't all that calm. 'You asked me to help you get those bookings. I practically forced you on the lady with the Friday wedding. It's going to make me look like a complete idiot. It's going to damage the hotel's reputation.'

'I know,' Jude said, setting down the spatula and turning to face me. He took hold of my elbows and drew me into his body. 'I know, and I hate messing you around, but this is a chance for me to sort things out with the boys. Things haven't been quite right since that weekend they refused to see me. I need to just get away with them. Give them my undivided attention.' I couldn't argue. They were his children. And besides, Jude was an adult; he'd make his own decisions.

'Okay,' I said. 'Fine. But don't ask me to get you extra bookings in future. I'm not doing it.'

'Meredith,' Jude said, reproachfully. 'Don't be like that.'

'I'm not being like anything,' I told him, holding up my hands in defeat. 'I'm just saying that I'm not going to give it the hard sell if you're unreliable.'

'Unreliable?' Jude repeated, in a warning tone.

'It get it. I understand why,' I said, 'but you are being unreliable. Unreliable and weddings don't mix, Jude.'

'It's a one-off,' he said, in a very final tone of voice.

'Good,' I sighed, with only a measure of ill-will. 'We'd best dish up,' I said, changing the subject. 'The spaghetti will be boiled to mush if you leave it bubbling away like that.'

My appetite had improved with Jude. I could eat a proper lunch and dinner - a decent sized portion - and was fussy only about the type of food I ate; how healthy it was, how indulgent. I avoided breakfast, so I was still slimmer than I used to be, but I thought of my eating habits as no worse than those of a serial dieter who calorie counted their drinks as well as their food. Jude's home cooking, however, threatened to undo all of my progress. His bolognaise was unpleasant in the extreme.

'Sorry,' he grimaced, as he tasted his concoction. 'I'm not sure what I got wrong.'

'Me neither,' I said, frowning at the plate. 'The spaghetti and cheese are nice, though.' Jude smiled at me, batting his eyelashes as though flattered, causing my stomach to flip. I couldn't be annoyed with him for long. Not when he had eyes which smouldered. 'So, this holiday,' I said, smiling as I tried to lighten my voice, 'Where is it? A hotel or villa?'

'A villa. It's modern - totally re-furbished - looking down on the lake. To be honest, the boys would probably have preferred somewhere cheaper with a bit more going on, but it'll be good to get away with them.'

'And Serena doesn't mind you going?' I asked. Jude shook his head.

'It was her idea, actually. I was surprised she invited me - things have been a little tense between us ever since Finn's birthday - but I guess she wants to patch things up.' No doubt! I thought, because she was his ex; she shouldn't want to go on holiday with him.

'How big is this villa?' I asked. Jude narrowed his eyes at me and set down his knife and fork with an air of impatience.

'Two bed, if that's what you're asking?' Of course it was what I'd been asking.

'So, you're going to be sleeping...?' I raised my brows in question.

'On the sofa. It's got a sofa bed.' I nodded, not really very happy. He wouldn't have his own room; his own space. Jude liked to sleep naked. Sure, he might don a pair of boxers, but I couldn't see him putting on a full pyjama set. There'd be nothing to stop Serena from gawking at him while he slept.