Chapter Twenty-three - Stay with Me

"I'm worried that you're setting yourself up for a fall.
Don't ignore the warning signs. Don't be afraid to be alone."
- Rhys

'Drew and I,' Tabby said, on one of our lunch dates. 'We're going travelling. I've booked my flights.' She beamed at me; her smile half an expression of excitement, half apprehension. 'I've decided to go with him, 'cos, well, I love him, and it's a great opportunity for me as a buyer. We're going to do Sri Lanka and Indonesia, then Australia. We're going to travel all over Australia.'

'That's fantastic,' I said, smiling back at her.

'Are you sure?' she asked, taking my hand and squeezing it hopefully. 'You're really sure you're alright with me going?'

'Of course!' I nodded.

'You and Jude - you're tight, aren't you? The real deal, I reckon?'

'I don't know about that,' I said. 'But what we've got is enough for me; for now at least, anyway.' Tabby nodded.

'I'm glad,' she said, giving my hand another squeeze before releasing it. 'I'd hate to think that I was leaving you, or that I was rubbing your face in it by being all loved up with Drew.'

'Don't be ridiculous!' I chided. 'I'm a big girl. I can cope without you... Just about, anyway.'

'I think what you mean is, you can cope, so long as you've got lover boy on speed dial!' I shook my head at my coffee, biting back a smile.

'Perhaps,' I laughed. 'But if you had Jude, you'd be just as keen as me.'

'Probably,' Tabby winked. 'I've always had a soft spot for bad boys. Not when it comes to settling down, of course - that's why I love Drew - but for a bit of a thrill? They make me go weak at the knees.'

'Jude's not a bad boy,' I replied, a tad defensive. 'He's actually very caring. It's just the shaved head, black jeans and grim demeanour which make him seem a bit... dangerous.'

'A bit?' Tabby scoffed. 'Sweetie, that guy's got danger written all over him. If Skip hadn't vouched for him, I'm not sure I could have let you date him.' She was only half joking, as well. It smarted a little, because I knew what she didn't; that Jude was sensitive and kind, caring and loyal. That he was shy and used aloofness as a shield to stop people from getting too close. I wanted everyone to see what I saw. To acknowledge how lucky I was to have him, and yet I couldn't tell anyone the truth, because it was his secret, and my privilege to be privy to it.

'But Skip did vouch for him,' I said, finally, 'so you've got nothing to worry about.' I lifted my coffee and clinked it against her mug. 'To travelling with your new fella, and coming back engaged.' I froze and fixed her with a steely glare. 'That's all you can come back with,' I said, wagging my finger at her. 'An engagement ring. Perhaps a foetus,' I added, upon further consideration. 'Not a wedding ring. If you're getting married, you're doing it here, with me to help you plan it!' Tabby flashed her pearly whites.

'You seriously think I'd get married without you? You're my best friend and a wedding planner. Could there be a better Maid of Honour?' I shook my head, letting my hair swish about my face.

'Nope,' I said, taking a sip of coffee. 'You're going to have a fantastic time, but you are so going to miss me.'

'I'll try to remember to, in between riding on... elephants and... surfing and... moon parties?' Tabby said, clearly uncertain what her itinerary was. 'But you have to remember to miss me, too. Don't get so caught up with Jude that you run out of time to Skype me.'