Chapter Twenty-four - Lose You

"Well, he's not wrong, is he? I'm still here, in every corner of every room. You're still telling me your story.
Do you really want him, or do you just want someone to replace me?
Either way, you're going to lose him if you don't sort this out."
- Rhys

I didn't have to worry about Jude getting into a fight with Conrad, though, because three weeks after I found out about the airbed, Serena and Conrad rather spectacularly broke up. According to Jude, Conrad couldn't hack being around the boys full-time. Living with Serena wasn't as rosy as he'd anticipated, and they'd had a blazing row, which ended in Conrad moving back into his swanky bachelor pad in Pimlico. Jude said Serena was heartbroken, but doing a good job of hiding it for the boys' sake.

'I think they're a bit gutted,' Jude explained, as he attempted to cook for me in our kitchen. 'They've always loved Conrad. He's great with them; been spoiling them since they were babies, letting them get away with murder. They probably don't understand what's going on.' I nodded, peering over his shoulder and into the pan he was stirring.

'What is that?' I asked.

'Bolognaise,' he replied, a little offended.

'Oh,' was all I could say, because it was more brown than red. I'd thought it some kind of savoury mince, a la school dinners, perhaps? 'Shall I put some spaghetti on then?' I asked.

'Damn,' Jude cursed, much to my amusement.

'I love that you're hopeless in the kitchen,' I laughed, watching as he dashed about filling the kettle, grabbing another pan and rummaging through the kitchen cupboards for spaghetti. I love everything about you, I thought to myself, and my laughter came to an abrupt halt, because I suspected that Jude didn't love me in return. And as though to prove it, he said -

'Serena was going to take the boys to Lake Garda for half term. Conrad booked it all.'

'Can they still go?' I asked, picking up a slice of raw red pepper and nibbling on it.

'It's all paid for. Conrad's a bit of a dick, but he's not vindictive. He's said they should still go. He won't be using the booking, and the boys were really looking forward to it, so...'

'That's good,' I said, nodding in agreement.

'Serena's asked if I want to go with them,' Jude added, his voice dropping with caution.

'On holiday?'

'That's right. It'd just mean changing my name on the flight booking, but it's a trip for four, and I've not really got the money to take them on holiday myself this summer.'

'So... you're all going to Lake Garda?' I asked, as evenly as I could.

'I'd like to,' Jude said. 'I've got two bookings at the hotel though; I'd need to cancel them, and it's short notice, so I know it'll be a bit of a problem.' He just looked at me, as though hoping I'd tell him it was no biggie.

'It will be a problem, Jude. Half term's in what, two weeks?'

'Yeah.' His eyes glanced towards me, before he busied himself with cooking the spaghetti.

'What are you going to do?' I asked. 'Cancel the bookings? The clients might not be able to get another photographer at such short notice.'

'I know, and I'll feel dreadful if that's the case, but they're my boys, Meredith. I have to go.'

'So, you're going to call these brides and tell them they've got to find another photographer for their wedding?'

'I'll have to, won't I?' I winced at the mere thought of it. I could fast feel a headache coming on.