Ignorance Is Bliss

Mattie looked into her gold plated mirror. She was happy. She'd decided she was happy. Her hair a tight blonde bob that shinned in the light. She smiled her most dazziling smile. Walter always said her smile was like a breath of warm air drawing you in. Thinking of Walter made her smile to herself. She was in love wasn't she? He's her fiance she must be in love with him right?

"Mattie!" Called Walter. " You're missing the party!"

"Coming Darling!" Mattie's voice ringed out like a bell.

Walter was always having partys. He was what people liked to call an egg. Someone who lived the big life. When Mother had introduced Mattie to Walter she had whispered in Matties ear while holding the small of her back firmly. 

"This gentlemen is rather fulsome hes' perfect!"

Mother had the tendancy to talt. Mattie was what you called old money and so was Walter they turned their noses up at new money people. It was the way Mattie had been brought up, it was in her blood.

"Baby you look spiffy!" Walter breathed as he brushed his lips across Mattie's cheek. "There's some people I need to introduce you to." 

After an hour of meeting people Mattie was feeling rather worn. She looked around and a midst the crowd of flappers dancing she saw a man staring her full in the face. He held his hand towards her. She took it and he kissed her hand pleasantly. "You must be the lovely Mattie Wimphrey." Said the gentlemen. He was tall and muscular had handsome features and a head of lovely black hair.

"Burnette" Corrected Mattie

"I do beg your pardon, Burnette?" Inquired the gentlemen.

"Yes" Stated Mattie. "I am yet to be married to Walter. I remain Mattie Burnette."

"Oh! Please forgive me Miss Burnette! My sincerest aplogies." Said the gentlemen

"Thats quite alright honey! And you are?"

"Jerome. Jerome Howell."

"Pleased to make your aquantainces Mr Howell"

"The pleasure is all mine!" Exclaimed Jerome.

After ten minuets of talking the two decided to go to the roof for a quick cigar.

"Have you heard of Mutants Miss Burnette?" Asked Jerome.

"Mutants?! No I can't say I have!" Replied Mattie.

"Lucky you!" Hissed Jereome bitterly.

Mattie looked up at Jerome with a look of confusion which quickly turned to horror as Jerome brought out a gun from his suit jacket.

"Now listen to me Mattie you're going to do exactly as I say or.."

But Jerome's sentence was interrupted as Mattie saw a figure immerge behind Jerome as if out of thin air. A scream escaped Mattie's lips it was shrill and high pitched. A second later the figure knocked the gun out of Jerome's hand and punched him square in the face. Jerome staggered for a second looked at his attacker with tears in his eyes and vanished. Mattie's head was spinning she wanted to cry out for Walter but could not find her voice she groped and gasped for air but could find none. Her hand fluttered to her forehead and she fell backwards. Just before she hit the floor an arm was under her. She blacked out then with only the image of eyes as blue as velvet hovering above her face.