Chapter 9

Dean took up Ash's bag from her hands, tossing it into the trunk of his car. He slammed the compartment closed, then opened the backseat door for the young girl. Sam nodded at her before she climbed into the back passenger-side seat. The brothers looked up to see Bobby gesturing them over near his front door.

"Boys," the older man began as they approached. "Make sure ya keep a good eye on Ash, yeah?"

Sam blinked a few times, shaking his head. "Yeah, of course."

"She's still a kid, y'know. She's not in this business 'cause she wants to be, and bein' on her own takes its toll. She's not really emotionally developed all the way yet, y'know? Can cause a lotta problems, she won't take care of herself. I trust you boys will make sure she learns. Kid like that needs to be taken care of, and up 'til now, she hasn't had too many people who did that."

Sam's expression softened, as did Dean's. "Of course, Bobby," the younger brother nodded.

"We'll make sure she gets taken care of," Dean agreed, gripping his keys tightly.

"Good," Bobby nodded at the boys. "And of course, take care of yourselves. Be safe out there."

Sam gave a small smile to Bobby, and Dean nodded. "You, too."

"Now, get your asses moving," the oldest hunter waved the brothers off with a nod. The two boys nodded back, carrying themselves back to the old black car.

Ash was already sat with her legs splayed out across the backseat, and the car bounced as the older brothers climbed in the front seats. Dean slapped his right hand on the back of Sam's seat to stare back at the girl behind him. "Ready, kid?"

"Ready as I'll ever be, I guess," she shrugged, staring out the window on her right. Her arms crossed lazily as Dean turned back around, shifting the key in the ignition to start the car. The Winchesters waved at the older man standing in front of the house as they backed out, turning around to drive down the narrow gravel road.