Day 18: Tunnels

Pieces of wood showered around the room as the glass mirror did the day before. Garroth stumbled backwards with surprise. "L-Laurence?! How could you do that? If our plan doesn't work, you will never hear a guitar again! I'll never hear a guitar again!" His eyes were wide, but flashed with an uncertain excitement.

Laurence turned to him, a smile resting on his lips. "It's going to work Garroth, I've never felt more alive in my life." Confidence ran through every inch of Laurence's body, this had to work. He had Garroth now.

He had a reason to fight back.

He had someone to fight for.

Garroth put his hand to his face in an effort to hide his smile. "Laurence, you are a stupid genius." His blue eyes glimmered with happiness.

Laurence swung the neck of his guitar over his back. It looked almost like a bat with metal things on top of it and strings dangling everywhere. "Oh Garroth, you flatter me." He boy took a swift and exaggerated bow.

Garroth let out another chuckle. "Ok, ok, just get to work. The sooner we do, the sooner we may be able to get out of here."

Laurence sat up and nodded. He took a deep steps towards the bathroom before turning around to face Garroth. "That reminds me..." He grabbed Garroth's shirt and pulled him close to whisper into his ear. "Start saving your meals, we will need them if we try to get out through the tunnels and need to stay in there to hide out for a day or two."

Laurence felt Garroth's face heat up next to his as the blonde boy quickly nodded and pulled away. "Gosh, you gotta stop doing that so suddenly. I swear, I thought you were about to head butt me. " He looked away, regaining his composure. "And I think you mean ration our meals, completely starving ourselves until these tunnels are done will do us no good." His voice was lowered. The last thing they needed was their meals to get cut off by whoever was running this experiment.

Laurence nodded before turning back o the bathroom. Once he entered, he thought a moment about Garroth's face heating up as it neared his own. His freckled cheeks began to flush. "Laurence you idiot! That's way to close for any person to be comfortable with." He quietly cringed at himself.

"No time for that, I have to get to work." With that, he picked up his makeshift pickax, and took a swing at the wall. What happened made him almost drop his tool.

The wall easily cracked through, and with a few more swings, he had a sizable hole. The boy couldn't believe his eyes. Soon enough, he reached a stone layer, and his eyes darkened. This is where the real hard stuff began.

For hours on end Laurence worked. His body began to sweat profusely, he had never worked like this before. Soon enough his muscles began to ache, but he refused to stop. He didn't stop until he had chiseled away a little hole big enough for him to crawl into. By that time, it had taken him 5 hours.

Laurence then came out of the bathroom, his clothes drenched in sweat and his body shaking with effort. He looked at Garroth who was sitting on his bed. He handed the makeshift chisel to him. "Your turn."

Garroth nodded, and went into the bathroom to continue Laurence's work.

Laurence's whole body ached, and he walked from his room into Garroth's. They both would have to use Garroth's bathroom while they were working on the tunnels, as the other bathroom was being used for such an important mission.

Laurence turned on sink and ran his hands under the cold water. He then dipped his head down to take a drink. He ran his wet hands through his brown hair, making it spike up.

He smiled at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. It brought back memories of him doing the same thing when he was young. Spiking up his hair and running around pretending to be a dinosaur or monster. His mother would always play along, pretending to be captured and taken away by him.

The boy looked down, his thoughts fading back into the present. He gripped his hands around the rim of the sink and looked back at his reflection so suddenly that it made his hair flip back down into his face.

"I'm coming mom, if you are still out there."