Day 1: Meeting Him

A young boy screamed as he was pulled away from his mother. "Mommy! Mommy!" He called grasping desperately for her. His light brown hair was messy and ruffled from his thrashing.

"Stay strong Laurence. Who is Mommy's big brave boy?" The women had tears in her eyes. "Please, don't make this harder that it already is, Love." Her voice cracked as Laurence was pulled farther away. The men with white lab coats having a tight grip on his arms as he was drug farther from his mom.

His mother crumbled to the floor. "Laurence!" She called, the pain in her voice sounded as if she had just been shot. "My son! My little boy! I love you Laurence! Don't take him! Please!"

Laurence watched helplessly as he was taken through the double doors and placed on a table. The tears of his mother burned into his mind. That was the last he saw of her, before the doctors made him fall asleep.

***

That was on his fourth birthday, 12 years ago. Since then he had been able to piece together what had happened, at least a little.

The Ro'Meave family had put on a stupid study of human isolation, and he just happened to be the only subject, at least that he knew of. His mother was unable to take care of him at the time for whatever reason, and this way he could be given an education and living space while his mom was paid for the experiments done to her son. For some reason Laurence didn't completely believe this.

A voice came over the little speaker in the room, the only voice he herd all day. It was a woman, Laurence guessed in her late 30's or early 40's. Her accent was Mexican, but he presumed that English was still her first language. He was familiar with her, she made the relatively same announcement every day, except for today that is.

"The date is March 9th 2017, your lessons are completed today, congrats. As your education had been completed, Laurence, you shall be given a reward, as well as a surprise that will be given later today-"

Laurence felt a smile spreading across his face. A reward! 12 years and he had gotten nothing more that a few books with his lessons inside, but now he could actually get entertainment! He had a collection of pencils from his work, which he had drawn with all up and down his walls, yet every morning they disappeared. He had tried for so long to figure out how, but at his third year he gave up.

"-Happy Birthday Laurence." The voice finished. He herd the familiar clicks of the speaker turning off, and he fell into silence again. He turned to the little area where his food would be placed. He herd a buzz, signaling his breakfast had arrived, and pressed the small button for the door to open.

The delightful smells of french toast with extra powdered sugar wafted into his little room. He gave a little smile, as this particular meal only came once a year.

He ate it slow, savering every bite. He got used to this method of eating, considering it kept him busy for a little while. He looked over at the direction of his mirror as he sat on his bed with his breakfast, and tilted his head curiously. A button was there, a new one.

He set down his plate and looked a little closer. This wasn't a button, it was a switch. This meant he was able to turn something on and off, and just the sight of this new switch excited him. He had never seen something like this before, not in a long time.

He flicked it up, and down. It made a nice clicking sound. "Wow.." Laurence whispered.

Up, down, up, down, up, down.

Click click click click click.

When you see nothing but white walls for most of your life, a switch is a pretty big deal.

After little while of this, the voice came back, making Laurence jump with surprise.

"I hope you like your surprise Laurence." She said, before a sudden sound came from the wall next to his.

He didn't know his wall was that thin. Quickly he dashed to the wall, pressing his ear against it.

"Hello?" A voice said. It had a lightly British accent, which Laurence had learned about through his lessons. It sounded like a boy, about his age. It wasn't muffled either, as if they were in the same room together.

Laurence was hesitant to speak. "H-hello?" He answered back, placing his hand over his own mouth. It had been so long since he had herd his own voice.

He could hear footsteps coming closer to the wall separating them. "Hello? Laurence? You in there?"

Laurence stepped back. "H-how do you know my name?" He said, suddenly suspicious. What if his was a scientist trying to trick him? Who knows what kind of tests that were going on behind that wall.

"I know because I was informed, no need to get nervous." The boy said, almost humorously. "My name is Garroth, nice to meet you."

Laurence was still shocked, all this was happening too fast for his brain to process. "G-Garroth?" He questioned cautiously. The words were foreign to his lips, not hearing another name other than his own in 12 years.

"Yeah, that's right, Garroth. I just got put in here today, so this whole isolation thing is pretty new. Any tips for me?" Garroth said.

Laurence picked up a few things as Garroth was talking. One that Garroth had socialized with others his whole life. Two that he was extroverted. And three, that Laurence was not used to this much talking. Quickly, he was quite overwhelmed.

He realized what the switch was for. He flicked it down, making everything fall silent again. He had muted them both. Laurence sighed and sat on his bed. This was going to change everything if this kid, "Garroth" stayed next to his room, his isolation.

"Garroth.."

Laurence said quietly, as if trying to familiarize himself with the sound.

"Garroth."

***

Thanks for reading everyone! I hope you like the story so far! It's really fun to write considering I haven't written something where basically only two characters interact, and all that Laurence really has to go off of is tone of voice. I think I'm getting the hang of it though. It was fun! Stay tuned for the next chapter!