Day 8: Kings

Laurence felt weak. How could this happen? He wasn't aware how delicate people were. He herd a loud banging on the other side of the wall, presumably Garroth hitting the walls.

"Let me out!" Garroth screamed. His voice scared and vulnerable, as if he was a child and someone dared him to step into a haunted house, and his friend locked him inside.

Laurence turned of the speaker, unable to listen to another word. When he shut it off, the sound of Garroth banging on the walls faded as well as his voice. It was as if Laurence's room was completely sound proof.

Laurence scooted back to the corner of the room and sat down, hugging his knees to his chest. "What have I done. What have I done..." he repeated to himself. Over and over again.

More memories flowed back, how he had done this before. He had curled up in the corner back when he was very small, perhaps only a week into isolation. He kept on saying "What have I done." to himself, thinking that this whole isolation thing was a punishment for something he had done.

But Laurence was older now. He knew that wasn't the case. Since Garroth came everything had to be perfectly balanced, or it would fall apart. Garroth had ruined Laurence's little kingdom.

Laurence felt rage boil up inside of him. He had been here for 12 years, Garroth had been here a week. What gives him the right to smash everything Laurence has worked for? Peace, contempt, it was all gone. Everything Laurence said felt monitored by Garroth. Before, he could do or say whatever he wanted, because he was the only judge for what was right and what was wrong.

Laurence began to scream, letting out all the rage that boiled up inside. He let it all out, and in the heat of the moment, he got up and flipped the switch.

The sound of Garroth banging on the walls returned, but it was weaker, as if Garroth was growing tired.

"What gives you the right to say those things?" Laurence screamed, his voice cracking halfway through but he didn't care. "I have been here for 12 years, Garroth. 12 YEARS! You have been here for barely a week. I have grown up here, this is my home!"

Garroth was silent, absolutely speechless.

"You ruined my kingdom! My fortress of solitude! All of a sudden you think you can walk in here and think you own the place? No! It's mine! This is mine! I don't care if you have never felt anything like this before. You made everything fall apart! You talk about her like I'm not even here! Well guess what genius, you'll never get to see Aphmau again!"

Laurence didn't know why he brought Garroth's girlfriend into this, but he was so deep in that he couldn't stop himself from finishing.

"I hate you!"

Laurence covered his mouth, his ranting over. His throat throbbed from the screaming. His heart hurt from saying all those things. Automatically he wanted to apologize, but he kept himself from doing so, some of the things were true after all.

Garroth was silent, then quiet sobs began to fill the void of silence. For once, it was Garroth who flicked the switch.

And all fell silent once more.