Ultraviolence [10]

Start from the beginning

            Carson laughed. “Lets just go inside so you can realise that everything is going to be fine.” Carson unlocked his front door and stepped inside. “Mum, Dad, we’re here!”

            An older woman with short brown hair rushed out of the kitchen. “Hello!” She enthusiastically said. “It is so nice to finally meet you! Carson, you told me she was beautiful but that’s an understatement. I’m Claire!”

            Carson smiled. “Linnea, this is my Mum who’s a little excited to meet you…”

            Carson’s Mum grabbed my arm, “Come with me, sweetie. Carson, go find your Dad.”

            Carson opened his mouth to say something but I just shook my head. “Go. I’m going to help your Mum.” I followed Claire into the kitchen and she walked to the stove, mixing something in a large pot. “Do you need any help with anything?”

            “No, no, you’re the guest, take a seat. Do you want something to eat? Something to drink?”

            “Oh, I’m alright. Thank you.” I paused, looking around the kitchen. I had been to Carson’s house once before when nobody was home. “Your house is beautiful.”

            “Thank you.” She smiled and took a seat next to me. “Carson’s never brought a girl home before and when he told me about you, I was so happy for him. You make him really happy, you know?”

            “He makes me really happy.” So far, everything was going pretty good. Of course, I hadn’t met Carson’s Dad yet. I didn’t know much about his Dad. I knew he owned his own business and wasn’t home much. Carson spoke about his Mum a lot; it was cute.

            “Does he treat you alright?”

            “He treats me like a princess,” I replied, honestly.

            Carson and an older man walked into the kitchen. “What are you guys talking about?” Carson wrapped his arm around me. I just shook my head and directed my attention to the tall man that looked very similar to Carson. “Linnea, this is my Dad and Dad this is Linnea.”

            I didn’t know what to do. Should I shake his hand? Carson’s Dad put his hand out so I shook it and said, “It’s nice meeting you Mr. Creeve.”

***

Dinner went smoothly. Mr. Creeve’s questions were a bit frightening, because I wasn’t sure I was answering him correctly. He questioned me about my future, what I wanted to do and all. Claire told me stories about when Carson was younger and then, much to Carson’s dismay showed me pictures of him as a little kid.

            “You were so cute!” I squealed.

            “I still am,” Carson replied. I rolled my eyes. “I think that’s enough baby photos, Ma. I’m going to go to my room now with Linnea.”